New Backlight Bulbs Acrylic Cinema Displays

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Hrududu, Apr 5, 2016.

1. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

Good afternoon gang. The other day either the inverter or one of the backlights in my 23" ADC began to fail (I suspect inverter) and the lower half went dim, and I have the flashing power button. Basically this led to me moving one of my DVI 22" Cinema Displays over the the Quad G5 until I can resolve the issue with the 23. I've got 2 of these 22" displays with DVI and they're both quite dim in comparison to virtually every other LCD display I own. They featured replaceable backlight bulbs PN-922-5675. Obviously these are parts that can't be sourced easily anymore, but there are plenty of suppliers out there for generic CCFL backlight lamps. Has anyone ever tried replacing their backlights with a new bulb that wasn't OEM? Or does anyone know the bulb diameter and length that would go into this size screen? I'd love to get both of these DVI displays brightened up.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 5, 2016 ---
    Possible solution:
    http://www.lcdparts.net/ccfldetail.aspx?ProductID=1599

Any experience with this seller?

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Before you go replacing backlights, here's a trick or two I've learned about my own Cinema Display.

I've had the lower backlight go out and got the flashing power button. I've learned that if I unplug the ADC connector and then plug it back in it can force the backlight to come back on. You may have to do this a few times.

The second thing I learned after the above failed me was that the bottom backlight is more prone to go out on my CD at colder ambient temperatures.

If I let my A1006 converter box (where I connect the ADC cable of my CD) get nice and warm by forcing the display to stay on for a while (Caffiene app) then the chances of the backlight lighting back up when I remove the connector and plug it back in are greater.

I have not had to do this in a while thankfully. However, the room my Quicksilver is in is much warmer these days because our winter here is long over.

Worth a shot before you go tearing apart the display…

3. Hrududu thread starter macrumors 68020

Hrududu

Good idea. I have this display connected to the DVI to ADC adapter since this is on the Quad, but I'll try your trick and see if it works. I will also give it a try plugged into a Mac with a ADC port. Ideally I need this 23 to work again, it's easily the best Apple display I own.

4. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I should mention that the tip I give is with the Mac running. I don't believe this will do any good if the Mac is off.

Just mentioning that for clarity.

Good luck!

5. ctmpkmlec4 macrumors 6502

ctmpkmlec4

I might have a spare bulb for a 23" Display. Acrylic, right? If I get a chance to get to storage this week, I'll see if I can find it. I can mail it to you, or meet you halfway from me to you if you're in ICT. If I can be of any help, shoot me a PM.

6. havokalien macrumors 6502a

havokalien

anyone have a spare hinge to the 23? and any spare screws. Been looking and then of course lost the screws.