New base 21.5 iMac over previous model

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Jamaway, Jul 28, 2010.

1. Jamaway macrumors member

Just ordered the base model 21.5.

Should hopefully have it before then end of the week. Excited :)

One question though - is this current new base model significantly improved over the previous version? I'm a total noob when it comes to processors etc

Could someone break it down for me?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

The CPU is faster but unless you do something like video encoding, you won't notice it. Some benchmarks here (compare the Core 2 Duo E8600 and Core i3 540). The GPU is the same as in previous gen high-end 21.5" so basically, you got the high-end 21.5" for the $ of base in addition with better CPU

3. Jamaway thread starter macrumors member

4. newdeal macrumors 68020

Multimedia

Ok so I am a bit confused. At first I was going to get the new one. Then when I saw only modest performance gains and something I really wouldn't notice I thought maybe I would get the old one and upgrade to 8gb of ram since I have 4gb of ram from my MacBook pro I could use. Now when I see the multimedia multitasking performance I am unsure again. I plan to use the iMac as a general computer, and simultaneously a media server running windows media center with vmware fusion. I ram and CPU are likely both important but I don't really want to buy new 1333 ram when I already have 1066. Which would be better?