new base mac mini blu ray encode time

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by cardsdoc, Oct 22, 2014.

1. cardsdoc, Oct 22, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2014

cardsdoc macrumors 6502

I currently use a 2007 C2D MBP as my itunes/plex media server. Works fine except I can't use it for encoding (takes an eternity) and it chokes when transcoding high bitrate content using plex. I therefore do my blue ray encodes on my mid 2012 retina MBP (2.6 quad i7) and it does it in about real time or slightly longer which I'm ok with (using ATV3 preset). I'm thinking of replacing the old MBP server with a new base mini (1.4 i5). It would be nice not to have to tie up my retina MBP for encodes. Any one have any idea what kind of blu ray encode times I could expect on the base model?

2. Mufasa804 macrumors regular

I'm curious about this as well, but I'm going to assume that by the performance reports we got for the Mac Mini it's not going to be a good option.

I use my Retina MacBook Pro for all the encoding and then I use my iMac as my iTunes server.

3. niteflyr macrumors 6502a

How many BR encodes are you doing? 2-3 a day? 2-3 a week? Even if it takes twice as long, who cares, still doable.

4. cardsdoc thread starter macrumors 6502

Infrequently. Except for when I recently lost all my media and had to re-encode (have a better back up plan now). So yes not a big deal especially if it's not tying up my MBP. Any other reason not to get the base model for this type of usage?