New Batch of iPhones?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Superdrive, Sep 15, 2007.

1. Superdrive macrumors 6502a

Superdrive

Yesterday, at about 6am PDT, I ordered an 8gb iPhone from Apple.com. At about 8am PDT, my roommate ordered a 4gb closeout iPhone from Apple.com. Both items said shipping within 24 hours, and his actually arrived at the FedEx center in town this morning. My 8gb, on the other hand, has actually had its ship date slip from same day (Friday) to Monday-Wednesday.

Both of us bank at the same place, and both of us were charged the same, so I like to rule out payment as a hold up. Maybe there is a hold up on updating the firmware to kick these out? Maybe Apple just wants to toy with my emotions while I watch my roommate play with his phone he ordered after me? Anybody else in the same boat? :)

2. bc008 macrumors 68000

bc008

probably something to do with billing.. no biggie.
    in the end you will win with the 8GB ;)

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

4. Superdrive thread starter macrumors 6502a

Superdrive

You guys are like a cold, wet towel. Haha. It is going to be a long week watching that 4GB. Patience is a virtue, right?

5. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/1C28 Safari/419.3)

I can here the guys in shipping say, hey look two orders for same address, let's play with these guys for a while. He He. Hope you get yours before Thanksgiving. :)

6. Jade Cambell macrumors 6502

Could be an update on September 18th, and you'll be getting the newer one.

7. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

Maybe a software update, which means his will be shipping with it already loaded, but definitely not a major hardware update. After the recent price drop "scandal", Apple will never get away with something like that.

8. macduke macrumors 603

macduke

this makes sense that if att got pissed at apple for all the software unlocks going on that maybe this update would break that for all the people ordering now to use on different networks. i know apple is interested in sales but perhaps att threatened to sue per their exclusive rights agreement.

either way it will be hacked again...sooner than later. im happy on att right now and just want an update!

9. Superdrive thread starter macrumors 6502a

Superdrive

I figured the firmware would be all that is new in the said update. But if they were to do some insane hardware update, I guess I would be the first to laugh next week. Haha.

10. FreeState macrumors 68000

FreeState

Actually I think that is the real reason for the price drop. The 8 Gig model is becoming the low end and there will be a 16 Gig model for Christmas priced at $499. Then - major speculation here - in January there will be a 3G model announced to ship in Feb/March/April replacing both the 8 and 16 with same capacity just with a 3G chip, same prices.

I think Apple was hoping the 16Gig model would be ready by the price drop announcement but was not. If it was there would have been way less moaning and gnashing of teeth.

11. Superdrive thread starter macrumors 6502a

Superdrive

Got the shipment notification on Monday morning, as expected. My iPhone is coming straight from China. I can hardly wait for it to get here on Friday. In the mean time, my roommate is making it clear that he is loving that 4GB. I'd be really excited if there were an update with iChat this week too...as if the music store isn't good enough.