new battery at 97% health,after one day.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by balinmar, Jan 28, 2009.

1. balinmar macrumors newbie

I got a brand new battery yesterday and it indeed said 100% battery life. now today it says only 97%...is this normal??

2. Atomicfission92 macrumors regular

It's going to fluctuate a little bit because its the first time the cells are being used and they need to find their norm. Also the batteries and system are calibrating themselves.

If the battery health goes down steadily over a week then I would say its a cause for a concern. But in 1 day it's to hard to tell.

3. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

Have you calibrated your battery?

4. dvdhsu macrumors 6502a

dvdhsu

Yes, calibrate it once, and then take a look at it.
    If the health goes down rapidly, then take it in to an Apple Store's genius bar to get it replaced.

5. balinmar thread starter macrumors newbie

i got it yesterday and was told to only let it charge for 12 hours straight, and that id be set with that.

6. Atomicfission92 macrumors regular

Run battery down till the laptop goes to sleep. Leave uncharged for about 6 hours and then charge up till full.

I think that's right.

7. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Ahh... I recently got a new battery and it's health has been bouncing back and forth like a Yoyo. Lowest 90%, highest 100%. I can't say for sure it's a bad performing battery after dipping to 90% it's since shot up, currently floating around 98%!!

Weird. :rolleyes:

8. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

Calibration

Charge up the computer fully and leave in a charged state for two hours.
    Unplug the Magsafe and let it discharge fully until it goes to sleep on its own.
    Leave it discharged for at least five hours.
    Plug in and let it charge fully.

If the battery life and health seem screwy do a SMC reset and PRAM flash. Unplug the magsafe, turn off the computer, and remove the battery. Then hold down the power button for at least five seconds.

Next, put everything back together and start up. Right after pressing the power button hold down command-option-p-r to reset the PRAM until it chimes twice and then let it start up normally.