*New* Battery Not Working (17in MBP)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iTeen, Jul 12, 2008.

1. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

Ok hopefully you people can help on this one, because I have no idea what to do.
    When my dad bought his Macbook Pro (19 months ago) he bought a spare battery with it. Today, with only 3% of its original life left (378 cycles) we tried to put in the *new* battery.
    The light on the magsafe power adapter doesn't even turn green/orange when its plugged in now and if you pull the power cord out it dies.

So my question is, should a battery that was bought a year and a half ago and never opened untell today not work? If so, is it worth bringing the battery into the Apple store to see if they might replace it?

Hope I make sence, and thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

I guess the battery will discharge with the time to a point it will not work anymore. Did you try leaving it in "charge" for many hours under control?
    I would try with the Apple shop to see what they say.

3. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

I don't get it...

Why do people complain about NEW stuff?
    can't you folks use your nut and return the faulty item to the store?
    Or are you posting this to show you have a fault?

:confused:

4. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

What you call NEW is something that was stored for more than a year. Not sure a battery can handle that without problems. In the case of a battery that was just bought I would agree with you.

5. nephilim7 macrumors regular

yeah not so good. I couldn't imagine a rechargeable battery being able to last almost 2 years without some juice flowing through it. Even a live battery in use needs to be depleted and charged about once a month to keep it all happy and chugging along. Kudos to your father for thinking ahead, bad luck in his choice of storing a battery that long though.

cheers

6. Pixellated macrumors 65816

7. nephilim7 macrumors regular

relevant info from that page:

Long Term Storage
    If you don’t plan on using your notebook for more than six months, Apple recommends that you remove and store the battery with a 50% charge. If you store a battery when it’s fully discharged, it could fall into a deep discharge state, which renders it incapable of holding any charge. Conversely, if you store it fully charged for an extended period of time, the battery may experience some loss of battery capacity, meaning it will have a shorter life. Be sure to store the ejected battery at the proper temperature. (See “Notebook Temperate Zone.”)

8. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

Found this on storage life:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=10571

Lithium Ion Batteries (Li-Ion)

* 1 to 2 months - Battery should still have minimal charge to operate the computer
    * 6 to 12 months - Battery can still be charged
    * 12 months or more - Uncertain