New Battery, Now what?!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Sweener88, May 27, 2008.

1. Sweener88 macrumors 6502

Sweener88

Hey guys,
    I just got a new macbook pro battery from apple as the replacement i bought 6 months ago lasted only 30min running ONLY system profiler..:rolleyes: anyway... before i put this in im wondering what i need to do. do i just plug it in and keep using ther laptop or plug it in and wait for it to charge fully? im asking because when i bought the replacement a few months ago it cam with a manual/guide which i thought i rembered making sure i pluged it in and waited till it was fully charge dbefore using. thanks guys

2. catachip macrumors regular

catachip

This is what you want to do:

1) Plug in the power adapter. Let the battery charge to 100%. Let it sit, plugged in at 100%, for at least 2 hours.

2) Unplug the power adapter and continue to use your Mac while on battery power.

3) Let the computer put itself to sleep when it gets to 0%. Let the computer sleep at 0%, without plugging in the power adapter, for at least another 5 hours (i.e., let it sleep overnight).

4) Plug in the power adapter and let the battery charge back up from zero to 100%.

That should properly calibrate your battery. It doesn't hurt to do this every few months. You can use a free application called "Coconut Battery" to monitor battery health. You can find that here: http://www.coconut-flavour.com/coconutbattery/