New Battery --> Question?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bimmerchop, Nov 11, 2008.

1. bimmerchop macrumors regular

I'm picking up a new battery soon. Now, I leave my mbp plugged in 95% of the time. Rarely do I use strictly battery power. I suspect that my current battery is screwed because of this....

I try to remember to unplug the power and run it off just the battery, but I usually forget. With this new battery, would it be wise to just keep it out of the mbp, and only use it when I "need" to? Would it be a better move to just keep it plugged in without having the battery actually installed?

2. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

-On the first gen, some people reported that the computer actually drew power from the battery and AC simultaneously under intense cpu/gpu load. I didn't experience this myself, but it was rumored. So I don't know about running with no battery. I believe the manual specifically says not to do this.
    -Apple says if you want to store the battery for an extended period of time, you should deplete to 50% then keep in a cool place.
    -I've also heard that keeping it in a ziploc bag in the fridge will also prolong its life. Make sure not to get it wet!
    -If it were me though, I would continue using your old battery on an everyday basis and use the new one should you require a longer charge. If like me, you only use the battery to carry to one charging spot to another, what charge capacity remains will be sufficient.
    -There are also some battery "conditioners" available that claim to prolong the life as well. They are pretty expensive though (~$180) FAR exceeding the cost of a new battery...
    Hope some of this has helped :)