New battery worth it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Entangler, Aug 24, 2014.

1. Entangler macrumors newbie

Hey all.

I currently have an old laptop mid-2009 macbook pro that I might want to use. I have a desktop, but having a laptop would be nice to use for working in coffee shops etc. But the battery on my computer is null. I unplug the device and literally five minutes later it asks me to plug it back in.

I'm thinking of buying a new battery. Though, I'm wondering if its worth it since its a 2009 device. I've kept it in good shape but could it drop on me at any second?

What do you guys think?

thanks!

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

If the computer still does everything you need, I don't see a reason not to replace the battery.

3. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

I would if in good condition or only things broken that I don't need (optical drive for example).

4. Entangler thread starter macrumors newbie

It does everything I need and generally still in good working condition.

The only noticeable difference is that the device seems to get a bit warmer than it did before. I tried to take out the dust out of fans and only helped a bit.

5. 5to1, Aug 25, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2014

5to1 macrumors 6502

That could be down to the battery, when they're depleted they can operate outside their normal thermal envelope. If you want to know why have a google on Li-ion/polymer batteries, the causes of them depleting and the side effects. Provided you don't see a bulge in the bottom case/stiff trackpad, physical integrity has still been maintained. But if you do see that its a good idea to remove/replace it, in case it expands and damages something or worst case "leaks".

If you don't want to pay Apples prices you can get a cheaper third party battery and check ifixit to ensure you are capable of replacing it yourself.

Also if OSX is still reporting battery health as ok it may be worth trying to get Apple to replace it. I got my wifes 2009 MBP battery replaced under EU consumer law earlier this year, OSX was reporting battery health as ok, but it was heating up, expanding and not holding any charge.

6. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

The replacement battery for a 2010 Macbook is less than $60 on Amazon. If the Macbook is otherwise OK, no brainer to replace the battery.

Double check the battery info says in the Power section of the System Report. If the battery is 5 years old and had 400 or more cycles on it.....replace it.

7. mvmanolov macrumors 6502a

i'd also get a small SSD to run the os and a data doubler kit t keep your other drive!

8. kieranread macrumors newbie

Doing a battery upgrade would be a great solution, if you plan to use it more and it gets warm then possibly consider upgrading the RAM to the full as well, this may help the temperatures, if not there are also multiple applications that can clear your RAM, I used these before I upgraded my RAM and it cooled the laptop down and stopped the fans from spinning up so much!

9. 5to1 macrumors 6502

I'm almost certain its getting warmer due to the failing/failed battery. That's exactly what my wife's 2009 MBP did when the battery was on its way out. Replaced the battery and operating temps returned to normal.

10. kieranread macrumors newbie

Good point there, my laptop battery went on my pro and it caused chaos with the system!

11. lokster macrumors 6502

lokster

my battery is almost 3 years old with over 1200 cycles and having a capacity of 50%. but it can still hold out two hours on a charge just browsing and watching videos.

Probably when it gets as bad as yours il replace it then.

i suggest you get a new battery from a reputable source like OWC, and not amazon.