Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The BBC is releasing a new free mobile app today called BBC Sounds, which brings together the broadcaster's extensive library of live and on-demand radio, music, and podcasts within a single audio player interface.

The BBC says the app has been designed to learn from the user's listening habits and introduce them to shows and podcasts that they might not otherwise know about, as Dan Taylor-Watt, head of BBC iPlayer, explains:

bbc-sounds-2.jpg
"Every user's experience of BBC Sounds will be unique as it's designed to learn from your listening habits, providing one-tap access to the latest episodes of your favorite BBC podcasts and radio shows and introducing you to new audio you wouldn't otherwise have discovered from the 80,000 (yes, really) hours available."
This content is delivered in a "Recommended for you" section, which showcases 10 on-demand shows at any one time, and automatically refreshes based on recent listening.

The live radio section of the app retains the virtual tuning dial used in the BBC iPlayer Radio app, which Sounds will eventually replace, and acts as a portal to all of the BBC's 18 national and 40 local stations.

There are also hand-picked collections of podcasts and on-demand music shows on offer to match the listener's mood, like Funny Chat, Upgrade Your Life, Live Sessions, and Dance Mixes.

bbc-sounds-800x532.jpg

Podcast and show categories cover the full gamut of content available, such as hip hop, classical, crime, and science and technology, while a "Continue Listening" section highlights podcasts and radio shows that have only been listened to part-way through, as well as next episodes to consider.

Users can add any individual episode or clip to the "My List" section to listen to later. In addition, subscribing to podcasts and programs generates a personalized feed of the latest episodes via the "My Sounds" section.

The BBC says there are several additional features in the pipeline for Sounds this year, including downloads to enable offline listening, so expect updates in the months ahead.

Article Link: New 'BBC Sounds' Mobile App Set to Replace BBC iPlayer Radio

Reactions: Piplodocus

nnoble

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2011
I’m abroad and use iPlayer Radio several times a day, seven days a week, I opened this with trepidation, given the way some mainstream longstanding apps have dumbed down and become tacky. I was immediately impressed by this new app which automatically picked up my iPlayer login and populated the home screen with everything I’d normally need multiple clicks to access. I’ve breathed a sigh of relief and love the fresh, functional, non-tacky user interface.

The Radio player is available internationaly. I currently access it from China.

Last edited:

BruceEBonus

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2007
Derbyshire, England
The BBC is state media run and dumbing down further. Like Radio Five Live they're appealing more to those who are hard of thinking.. Pity. That's why i can take no more of Messrs Campbell and Burdon and its Radio 4 and Radio 4 Extra for me from now on

wilsonlaidlaw

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2008
Unusually given the Beeb's recent track record this is not a case of style over substance but is actually a well thought out app. It seems to work well too, which is a bonus. Now maybe they can sort out their video laden News app and return to written articles - some of us can read and don't just look at the pictures.

bluecoast

macrumors 68020
Nov 7, 2017
I wonder if this means that they’ll eventually rename the iPlayer service?

BBC Video ?

I expect there are continuing legal difficulties with the iPlayer name and another company that famously is associated with using ‘i’ as a prefix on some of its most famous products...

dakwar

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2010
Any way for us canadians to use the app? The app is available in the UK store but my account is "not valid for use in the UK store".

mrklaw

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2008
Damn. I was only saying yesterday how beautifully designed BBC iPlayer Radio app is!

while the brand is strong (iplayer), I hate the radio app. I constantly get lost when trying to navigate away from live radio up to 'my radio' or downloads. Hopefully this will be a little easier to use.

dallardice

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2008
I suspect it's unlikely, but I'd really like a version of this for Apple TV or Smart TVs. It's annoying that there's no native way to listen to BBC Radio on those devices since they separated out the iPlayer for Radio, so here's hoping that Sounds will appear on TV screens at some point (although I suspect it's a very low priority)

checker2010

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2010
The BBC is state media run and dumbing down further. Like Radio Five Live they're appealing more to those who are hard of thinking.. Pity. That's why i can take no more of Messrs Campbell and Burdon and its Radio 4 and Radio 4 Extra for me from now on

LOL. Radio 4 and Radio 4 extra are both BBC channels. You’re contradicting yourself.

nnoble

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2011
Can't see the point of it myself.
Downloaded it, no schedules, the iPlayer Radio app does everything bar podcasts.
This app is not yet replacing the iPlayer Radio app. They have put it out as work in progress and have clearly listed their priorities for developing further features. Heading that list is 'schedules'. Even in it's embryonic stage it's possible to see the potential. Sometimes starting from scratch is preferable to fixing a rickety old foundation. The iPlayer Radio is probably not going to disappear any day soon but when this successor is ready, it will undoubtedly be an improvement.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.