New 'BBC Sounds' Mobile App Set to Replace BBC iPlayer Radio

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 26, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

The BBC is releasing a new free mobile app today called BBC Sounds, which brings together the broadcaster's extensive library of live and on-demand radio, music, and podcasts within a single audio player interface.

The BBC says the app has been designed to learn from the user's listening habits and introduce them to shows and podcasts that they might not otherwise know about, as Dan Taylor-Watt, head of BBC iPlayer, explains:

[​IMG]
    This content is delivered in a "Recommended for you" section, which showcases 10 on-demand shows at any one time, and automatically refreshes based on recent listening.

The live radio section of the app retains the virtual tuning dial used in the BBC iPlayer Radio app, which Sounds will eventually replace, and acts as a portal to all of the BBC's 18 national and 40 local stations.

There are also hand-picked collections of podcasts and on-demand music shows on offer to match the listener's mood, like Funny Chat, Upgrade Your Life, Live Sessions, and Dance Mixes.

[​IMG]

Podcast and show categories cover the full gamut of content available, such as hip hop, classical, crime, and science and technology, while a "Continue Listening" section highlights podcasts and radio shows that have only been listened to part-way through, as well as next episodes to consider.

Users can add any individual episode or clip to the "My List" section to listen to later. In addition, subscribing to podcasts and programs generates a personalized feed of the latest episodes via the "My Sounds" section.

The BBC says there are several additional features in the pipeline for Sounds this year, including downloads to enable offline listening, so expect updates in the months ahead.

Article Link: New 'BBC Sounds' Mobile App Set to Replace BBC iPlayer Radio

2. grobik macrumors regular

grobik

3. nnoble, Jun 26, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2018

nnoble macrumors 6502

I’m abroad and use iPlayer Radio several times a day, seven days a week, I opened this with trepidation, given the way some mainstream longstanding apps have dumbed down and become tacky. I was immediately impressed by this new app which automatically picked up my iPlayer login and populated the home screen with everything I’d normally need multiple clicks to access. I’ve breathed a sigh of relief and love the fresh, functional, non-tacky user interface.

The Radio player is available internationaly. I currently access it from China.

4. BODYBUILDERPAUL macrumors 65816

Damn. I was only saying yesterday how beautifully designed BBC iPlayer Radio app is!

5. ncmrnc macrumors newbie

If any one can pull this off, it has to be the beeb. :)

6. BruceEBonus macrumors 65816

BruceEBonus

The BBC is state media run and dumbing down further. Like Radio Five Live they're appealing more to those who are hard of thinking.. Pity. That's why i can take no more of Messrs Campbell and Burdon and its Radio 4 and Radio 4 Extra for me from now on

7. ncmrnc macrumors newbie

Radio 4 and Radio 4 Extra are owned by BBC. What are you saying? :rolleyes:

8. nnoble macrumors 6502

Wrong. It is not state run. If it was, the government would never have to take it to court as it has in the past.

9. wilsonlaidlaw macrumors 6502

wilsonlaidlaw

No working for me in France just fine.

10. Azzin macrumors 601

Azzin

11. wilsonlaidlaw macrumors 6502

wilsonlaidlaw

Unusually given the Beeb's recent track record this is not a case of style over substance but is actually a well thought out app. It seems to work well too, which is a bonus. Now maybe they can sort out their video laden News app and return to written articles - some of us can read and don't just look at the pictures.

12. BruceEBonus macrumors 65816

BruceEBonus

You're right. Actually I have no idea. I'm off to listen to Radio 5 Live now :(

13. bluecoast macrumors 65816

I wonder if this means that they’ll eventually rename the iPlayer service?

BBC Video ?

I expect there are continuing legal difficulties with the iPlayer name and another company that famously is associated with using ‘i’ as a prefix on some of its most famous products...

14. dakwar macrumors 6502

Any way for us canadians to use the app? The app is available in the UK store but my account is "not valid for use in the UK store".

15. mrklaw macrumors 68020

while the brand is strong (iplayer), I hate the radio app. I constantly get lost when trying to navigate away from live radio up to 'my radio' or downloads. Hopefully this will be a little easier to use.

16. dallardice macrumors regular

I suspect it's unlikely, but I'd really like a version of this for Apple TV or Smart TVs. It's annoying that there's no native way to listen to BBC Radio on those devices since they separated out the iPlayer for Radio, so here's hoping that Sounds will appear on TV screens at some point (although I suspect it's a very low priority)

17. tabscott macrumors newbie

Is this available in the US. I can only find the iPlayer?

18. AppleMad98004 macrumors 6502

No.

19. 69650 Suspended

The UI looks terrible. Couldn’t find any of my favourite podcats from Radio 4 & 5.

20. checker2010 macrumors member

LOL. Radio 4 and Radio 4 extra are both BBC channels. You’re contradicting yourself.

21. NogbadTheBad macrumors regular

NogbadTheBad

Can't see the point of it myself.

Downloaded it, no schedules, the iPlayer Radio app does everything bar podcasts.

22. nnoble macrumors 6502

This app is not yet replacing the iPlayer Radio app. They have put it out as work in progress and have clearly listed their priorities for developing further features. Heading that list is 'schedules'. Even in it's embryonic stage it's possible to see the potential. Sometimes starting from scratch is preferable to fixing a rickety old foundation. The iPlayer Radio is probably not going to disappear any day soon but when this successor is ready, it will undoubtedly be an improvement.