Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Images of a new version of the Beats Pill speaker are in the iOS 17.5 beta, giving us our first clear look at the device that's been spotted with a number of sports stars.

New-Beats-Pill-iOS-17.5-Feature.jpg

We don't know much about the new speaker, but it has the same pill-shaped design as other Pill speakers, and it has a lanyard that we have not seen on prior models.

Beats has not yet announced the Beats Pill, and a release date remains unknown. NBA superstar LeBron James and F1 Driver Daniel Ricciardo have both been seen carrying the speaker.

Article Link: New Beats Pill Spotted in iOS 17.5 Beta

Last edited:

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
Just because they were seen carrying the speaker, doesn't mean its any good. I don't know why Apple thinks that kind of publicity is worth it… Most of the response on macrumors was negative, though ill admit maybe not representative of beats customers.

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
These mini speakers are becoming obsolete with how good phone speakers have become.
I think there is still a market for these..

Although phone speakers can get very loud indeed… it has to be said a physically larger driver and all the rest truly does make a difference to sound quality.

Lets see what the reviews of this one are like… but there are some very high end portable speakers about.

tsa1

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2008
Agree with the above. I love the pill+ esp at the prices I got them. $79.99 at Costco! I did want more air in the highs, but hopefully Apple fixes this problem on these. If they can price them at $149.99 they will sell.

1madman1

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2013
Richmond, BC, Canada
Hopefully this 3rd gen model is an improvement. I had picked up a 2nd gen model on a deep sale and still felt it was underwhelming. My older, cheaper, similarly sized Sony well outperformed it.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
Just because they were seen carrying the speaker, doesn't mean its any good. I don't know why Apple thinks that kind of publicity is worth it… Most of the response on macrumors was negative, though ill admit maybe not representative of beats customers.
Mr./Mrs. Fuzzball…

Apple knows what they’re doing lol. they’ve been successful for decades and have marketed their products for decades.

people are talking about this thing whether positive or negative. hype is being drummed up. the celebs pictured with it have huge followings. people will be interested in the product solely because they were spotted with it.

this is nothing new. every company has brand ambassadors and marketing.

hope that helps!

Sunset Cassette

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2021
Canada
I've never owned a Beats Pill myself, but many of my peers have, and maybe it has to do with the fanaticism that used to surround the brand but they all seemed to love them at the time.

I currently use one of Sony's SRS-XB32 speakers primarily for listening while in the shower, and while the sound quality is pretty good, Sony's apps are pretty clunky feeling and battery life is less than desirable. With Apple's vast improvements in the audio space ever since they acquired Beats, I would be interested in giving one of these a spin whenever they may release.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.