Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is planning to release a new version of the Beats Solo 4 headphones, and hints of the refresh have been seen in both iOS updates and FCC filings in recent weeks. We've already seen the design and some of the features, with rumors pointing to support for Spatial Audio, but the headphones' full specs were today shared by 9to5Mac ahead of launch.

new-beats-solo-4.jpg

The Beats Solo 4 will feature longer battery life, USB-C, and better audio, with the full range of expected updates listed below.
  • Custom-built 40mm transducers with better clarity and range.
  • USB-C port for charging and high-resolution lossless audio.
  • 3.5mm port will still be available for lossless audio.
  • 50 hours of playback time, up 10 hours from the Beats Solo 3.
  • Fast Fuel charging for five hours of playback with a 10 minute charge.
  • Find My support for iOS devices.
  • One-touch pairing with Android devices.
  • UltraPlush ear cushions for improved comfort.
  • Bluetooth 5.3 support.
  • Beamforming mics with new voice algorithms for improved clarity.
Apple plans to sell the Beats Solo 4 for $200, which is the same price as the Beats Solo 3. There is no official word yet on when the headphones will be released, but rumors suggest they could come on May 2.

Article Link: New Beats Solo 4 to Feature Improved Sound, USB-C

Reactions: TigerNike23

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
The only thing Id say... is that Ive bought so many devices with beam forming mics... but I can never get them to work.

I was thinking it was some sort of tractor beam, but I realised it was just the magnets in them that was moving objects.

Then I thought maybe I was being stupid, and they made light beams, but no matter how much I look, I cannot see them.

But the mics work remarkably well on these devices with beam forming... must be using some really good tech.

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
The H2 is for instant pairing and swapping with Apple devices. As far as 'decent audio', these are not meant for audiophiles. Bass heavy, transit headphones imo.
ACtually , I noticed the battery improvement too... significant increase. And although they are not audiophiles earphones... a nice improvement in audio quality too... but they did have improved drivers... Im sure they employ lots of processing tricks to improve the audio anyhow.

Reactions: steve09090

Populus

macrumors 603
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
No noise cancelation (unlike my Beats Solo Pro), no H2 chip, and no hot-swapping between Apple devices… Nope, I’m sticking with my Solo Pro. Although I’ll probably have to change the ear cushions, as they are a bit degraded after 3 years…

maczaddy

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2024
NY
Still no basic auto pause or shut off if not in use next the pro version can’t do this either and I’m 100% confidant that’s why it’s always on sale for 40% off.

Stiksi

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2007
Seems like Apple is targeting Apple users with Apple earphones and switching Beats to focusing on Android. Interesting tactic.

coffeemilktea

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2022
One-touch pairing with Android devices.
Interesting since, uh... I don't think Beats are a green bubble product, if you know what I mean. 🤔

(this is not entirely meant as a joke; someone who goes out of their way to get a Pixel 8 Pro or Galaxy S24 Ultra AND who also wants pricy headphones will probably spring for Sennheiser or Sony headphones instead.)

TechRemarker

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2009
Years ago the PowerBeats Pro were due for a needed update for all of us that in ear headphones never stay in. Years later and think Apple truly forgot they have that product.

Reactions: maczaddy

steve09090

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2008
ACtually , I noticed the battery improvement too... significant increase. And although they are not audiophiles earphones... a nice improvement in audio quality too... but they did have improved drivers... Im sure they employ lots of processing tricks to improve the audio anyhow.
I’m sure you’re right. I think headphones have generally gone the way of phones now. They’ve reached peak improvement given the Bluetooth restrictions on lossless audio. But having the cable available shows they are still capable.

I’m just hoping they didn’t ditch the H chip like they did for the pros.

Reactions: Darkwalker

steve09090

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2008
Years ago the PowerBeats Pro were due for a needed update for all of us that in ear headphones never stay in. Years later and think Apple truly forgot they have that product.
I’m on my second pair because I have ‘those’ ears. But I just tried a workout with my wife’s new AirPods Pro 2, and whilst they stay in (surprisingly) I think I’ll stick to my Powerbeats Pro. I wish they’d do a noise cancelling version for people with goofy ears.

Hopefully an Apple Employee will drop around and let us know when.

Last edited:

MacFan23

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2010
I’m on my second pair because I have ‘those’ ears. But I just tried a workout with my wife’s new AirPods Pro 2, and whilst they stay in (surprisingly) I think I’ll stick to my Powerbeats Pro. I wish they’d do a noise cancelling version for people with goofy ears.

Hopefully an Apple Employee will drop around and let us know when.
I've been waiting for these too. I've kinda given up hope and think they see the Beats Fit Pro as that product unfortunately.

Reactions: steve09090
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.