Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bdj21ya

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 13, 2006
Hey all. I got my native bill splitting app working. You can easily install it using sFTP for now, hopefully it will be on installer.app or something. For now you can find the app at http://code.google.com/p/isplit/downloads/list

Please take a look and let me know what you think. If you find any errors, please post them on the "Issues" section. Enjoy.

erandall38

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2007
I have not got to use it very much or in a real situation but so far I like it and it seems to be useful. Thanks!

But just an idea, there are many times where I go out with my girlfriend and a friend so I need to pay for 2/3 the bill. Or one of my buddies will only need to pay a certain percentage of the bill and not just split it evenly. Do you think in future versions there will be any way to edit each parties actual contributing amount?

Thanks for the great app!

bdj21ya

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 13, 2006
Glad you like it, and thanks for the feature recommendation. I'll look into a way I can implement that into the user interface without clutter. For now, you can easily do what you're talking about, as long as the person paying for it all is the one paying 2/3--just treat you and your gf as parties 1 & 2, and your 3rd wheel friend as party 3. The party 3 total is what he'll owe you.

erandall38

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2007
good point. Sorry i missed that. But i do think for a future version it would be nice to maybe have an option where u could input the amount one party will pay... This would be good for situations when someone only has a certain amount of cash or only got a drink so wants to only pay for the drink and not a split amount.

bdj21ya

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 13, 2006
Just a quick update. For those without SFTP access, iSplit is now available over the installer.app, thanks to some generous work by Ste. Please check it out and enjoy.

bdj21ya

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 13, 2006
Also, for those few who downloaded it already, the newest version on the google code page (installer.app version should be updated soon) has a fix that really improves the speed of entering numbers--namely, it brings up the number keyboard by default now.

bdj21ya

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 13, 2006
For anyone waiting, the latest version, with the quicker item entry, is now available from installer.app.

erandall38

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2007
not to be rude, but doesnt the iphone have a calculator?

what am I missing?

Have you tried the program... if not you just might not get it. I Know you could use the calculator but I think this is easier and a better set up. and on the calc you can make mistakes.

If the OP makes some changes like i mentioned above such as allowing one party to only have a percentage I think it will be a great app.

bdj21ya

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 13, 2006
not to be rude, but doesnt the iphone have a calculator?

what am I missing?

Sorry, the difference is that this program makes it really simple to split bills item by item. Maybe 2 of the parties shared one item, 4 parties shared another, and the rest was individual entrees. Even with a calculator, you'd spend quite a bit of time dividing that up all correctly.

Even if you're splitting the bill evenly, this app can make things faster than the calculator by making any tip calculation simple. It's not for everybody, but try it out, I think it's pretty handy (but I might be a little biased :)).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.