New black metal backplate

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Dheald, Aug 26, 2011.

1. Dheald macrumors member

Picked the new backplate up as well a set of "iPhone 4 opening tools" (which included a very precise guitar pick...).

Anyways for $7 CAD shipped to BC, I'm not complaining. Got them both off eBay and they amazingly only took 7 days to get here!

On to the actual backplate, it feels...unlike Apple's aluminum items, i'll tell you that much. Other than that, quality is what you would expect for $4. At first I thought I was going to get metal slivers but it's actually quite smooth to touch.

The bevel along the edge is the best part. Feels miles better in the hand, especially after extended use.

Ask away if you have any questions.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Dino F macrumors 68030

Dino F

I've got the exact same one (from China) but a silver version instead with a black Apple logo. Looks better IMHO.

3. misterjrw macrumors member

Looks really nice, could you possibly give me the links (both for plate and tools)?

Cheers

4. Dheald thread starter macrumors member

Decided against the silver. I wanted a more understated look.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Metal-Back-H...695422?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item3cbb6faafe

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Pry-Tool-Scr...238?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c1d3f22d6

5. ajsnow6234 macrumors 6502

I had the silver beveled one when they first came around and didn't care for it. At first I thought the beveled edge would be nice but I did not like even the small amount of width it added. I like the black metal look though.

6. Dheald thread starter macrumors member

I wish it didn't have the uniform lines on the back. I couldn't find one in any colour without those lines. Part of the cheap manufacturing I suppose.

7. chimpboy74, Oct 26, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2011

chimpboy74 macrumors 6502a

chimpboy74

I have just received the silver one (ebay chinese seller) today. It came with a philips head and pentalobe screwdriver.

it fitted no problem and I had already bought a spare flash diffuser in case it didnt have one.

My first observations:

with flash diffuser: flash was being focussed into a point at centre of picture so turned it around (diffuser). not much better. Removed it altogether and the results were more similar to the original apple backplate (!)

I then noticed there was a halo around the edge of pictures taken with flash. Examined the new backplate and noticed the silver trim around the lens and flash holes was slightly off. I got a sharp knife and removed as much as I could to leave it neat and that seemed to fix the issue (mostly from around the flash hole)

I then went outside to see if GPS was affected. On a quick check it seems not. Google maps pinpointed me straight away and certainly within a few feet of where I was actually stood.

I havent noticed any reception issues yet but I wasnt expecting any with the antenna being round the edge.

I am very pleased with the look of the phone now and it sits a little bit nicer in my hand for having the slight bevel to the edge.

If I notice any other photo/GPS/signal type things as I use over next few days I will post, but so far so good!

EDIT: Just checked it my apple dock that I use. Much as the backplate adds a bit onto the phone it still fits in to the dock!

8. sawah macrumors 6502a

sawah

9. chimpboy74, Oct 26, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2011

chimpboy74 macrumors 6502a

chimpboy74

10. Mr. G macrumors member

@ DHeald

Nice backplate. How's the flash? Are the posts at the bottom (for the screws) metal or plastic?

Do you have a case or bumper - - - any problems with fit? I imagine the overall size of the phone doesn't change by much, no?

11. littlejob macrumors newbie

assuming this will work for ip4's? as well. ?

12. chimpboy74 macrumors 6502a

chimpboy74

I know you arent asking me but see my post above regarding flash - seemed OK without diffuser but a bit of trim was obstructing it and causing a shadow. Once i cut that away it was OK.

The posts on mine are metal and the inside of the back is lined with plastic so the metal is actually fairly thin

I use a leather sleeve (marware leather with pull tab) phone is a bit more snug but still fits (as the tab helps pull it out anyway). The apple dock still works too. The seller said it adds 1mm but my guess is its actually less.

13. Mr. G macrumors member

cnn.cn

Anyone have experience with CNN backplates? They advertise as having steel posts for the screws to lock into, which is great.

http://cnn.cn/shop/apple-verizon-iphone-cdma-c-256_1215.html

Any feedback would be great. Ideally I'm looking to put on a metal back plate (give that Macbook Pro aluminimum look...) and just slap on a bumper: minimalist look, and preserve the original/beautiful/though fragile back plate for resale in a year or 2.

14. indyzzzz macrumors 6502a

The beveled edge destroys the beauty of the iphone (subjective). Also does not work with cases.

15. Mr. G macrumors member

I'm also concerned with replacement cover's ability to deal with heat from battery. I don't have a pic on hand, but doesn't the OEM back plate have a bit of a metal on the interior that helps with the heat?

16. hizzaah macrumors 6502

i've got two backplates on order from cnn. I placed the order really early monday morning (like 2 or 3 am), paid with paypal and it's still in processing. They got my money the same day i ordered, so i'm hoping it ships tomorrow.

17. Mr. G macrumors member

Hizzaah --- would you mind doing some sort of review or contacting me directly? Would be greatly appreciated!

18. hizzaah macrumors 6502

I'll of course post stuff up once I get them in. Also waiting on a knock off e13ctron case.. Seeing as how both are shipping from china, it'll be next Friday at the earliest before I get either.

19. lazybee macrumors member

They are of good quality from CNN. I got mine a few days back. Metal posts on the bottom, plastic elsewhere. The camera glass wasn't quite centered, but it still works. Make sure to get a flash diffuser from CNN as well ad it does not come with their products. It costs 2.50 USD.

20. Mr. G macrumors member

Maybe dumb question: CNN's site says that their back plates come with a flash lens, so I assume this is that NOT the same thing as a diffuser? Am I an idiot? Obviously I would spend the $2.50 to keep picture quality same as with OEM back, just wanted clarification. Thanks.

21. lazybee macrumors member

It seems the are different..although I cannot be entirely sure they are required for proper operation. For comparison, the Mas Design Titanium back has a flash diffuser installed, the same on CNN.cn sells.

EDIT: the flash lens is just a piece of glass sandwiched between the metal and the plastic. It just looks like a drilled hole at first glance.