Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today announced that a new Black Unity Sport Band for the Apple Watch is available to order on Apple.com and in the Apple Store app starting today for $49. The band launches in select Apple Store locations on Tuesday, January 23.

Apple-Watch-Black-Unity-Band-2024.jpg

Apple says the band's "blooming flowers and vibrant colors" represent "Pan-Africanism and symbolize generations working together to address injustice and dismantle systemic barriers." The band's pin is etched with "Truth, Power, Solidarity."

An accompanying Black Unity watch face will be available for the Apple Watch with watchOS 10.3, which will be released next week, according to Apple. Users can choose between a single-bloom or full-bloom arrangement for the watch face, and when they raise their wrist, the "flowers begin to bloom with vibrant hues."

2024-Apple-Watch-Black-Unity-Watch-Face-Combo.png

Apple is also adding a new Unity Bloom wallpaper to the iPhone and iPad with iOS 17.3 and iPadOS 17.3, which will both be released next week. Apple says the wallpaper "presents an outline of flowers that fill with color when the display is active."

Unity-Bloom-Wallpaper-iPhone-iPad.jpg

More details about this Black Unity collection and Apple's Racial Equity and Justice Initiative can be found in Apple's press release.

Article Link: New Black Unity Band for Apple Watch Now Available to Order

Last edited:

WLS

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
I like it. It will match well with a Product Red watch. I've been looking for a band that is compatible with the Jamaican flag which is Yellow Black Green and this does that nicely. It has a Floral Carribean vibe.

Edit. It is available now to order although it ships next week. I ordered it as I think it may sell out.

Last edited:

Fraserh02

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2017
I’m not going to buy any more bands until the new watch body comes out.
Hopefully they continue to support the same bands in the redesign, but on the other hand it’s nearly been a decade so I can’t be too annoyed at them if they changed it (unless their is no valid reason why it can’t support it).

Reactions: orbital~debris

Adelphos33

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2012
I like that these bands always seem to go well with my Green Series 7 aluminum model, as well as all of the SS gold models. It seems like they would clash a bit with the Midnight Aluminum apple makes now (I assume the watches depicted are SS graphite).

Nevertheless I am not sure I will be buying this band. I have the sport loop and the previous sport band - sport loop is one of Apple's best bands ever IMO.

Royksöpp

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2013
It has that ugly charm to it. It looks like it could have been a collaboration from Prada or Marni.

DFZD

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2012
It reminds you of a Sunday afternoon but in Norway so its dark because the sun doesn’t come out.
P.S. - They should release a matching beach shirt.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
I actually hated the previous one. THAT one was sooper ugly. This one has a lot less pandering and more thought put into it. My wife bought the previous one and hates that the actual purpose of the design is hidden when you put it on. This design is far better thought out. May pick one up for her.

Sevendaymelee

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2016
Seems like it would be a better idea to sell bands that are actually, you know, good looking? But what the heck do I know?

orbital~debris

macrumors 68020
Mar 3, 2004
UK, Europe
That’s one of the ugliest things I’ve ever seen. Looks like it was designed by a kindergarten student.
I've really never understood this sort of point of view… but would like to have a better understanding.

Is it because less intricate designs look basic in a way that suggests lower skill level? The colours? Or something else? Some schoolchildren's art can be wonderfully joyous and expressive, so the association with ugliness doesn't ring true.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.