New Blackberry - syncing question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by galactic732, Jan 3, 2009.

1. galactic732 macrumors member

I just got a Blackberry Curve and I am wondering what the best app to sync with my macbook is. I have OSX tiger.

any help would be greatly appreciated

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

There are currently 2 solutions and they are both horrible.

PocketMac is OK, and free - but it may freeze on sync from time to time.

Missing Sync is not free, but generally more stable.

I've had problems with both of them screwing up the sync, e.g. contacts from the phone not transferring.

RIM is working on a tool, which should be done this quarter.

3. jive turkey macrumors 6502

As r.j.s points out, both products currently have huge problems. What you will find is that PocketMac constantly crashes for a lot of people and fails to keep changes that are made on your blackberry. MarkSpace/Missing Sync has a serious bug where it is randomly deleting contacts from the Mac address book. I spent much of the weekend scouring the Net looking for a solution, only to find that it is a problem that many people are having.

Who knows when RIM will get the new Mac software out (last I heard they are shooting for June). I would suggest you try PocketMac first, since it is free. If that doesn't work, get Missing Sync. Just make sure you back up your address book constantly, or perhaps set the options to always overwrite what is on the device (meaning if you want to add/edit contacts you have to do it at your desk). The calendar, tasks, iTunes, etc. still seem to work properly in Missing Sync.

Generally, Missing Sync has been very good, except for the current bug that seems to have coincided with the Blackberry OS upgrade (to 4.5).