New BlackBook HELP

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by mbopy22, Mar 7, 2008.

1. mbopy22 macrumors 6502

mbopy22

Hi
    These are the facts;

Elements
    - New 2.2 BlackBook getting here next Wed/12:D:eek:
    - Current iBook ran out of HD space, only 1.37GB free:eek:
    - I got yesterday my brand new Lacie Rugged External HD 160GB:D
    - 2 iPods, see signature. :p

Questions;
    - Once the BlackBook gets here, how should I transfer all my data from my iBook to the BlackBook:confused:
    - What should I do with all the softwares I have, specially the free ones, should I just download them one by one again, or is there a way to copy them to the new computer.
    - What would be a reasonable price to ask for my iBook? 40GB - 1GB Ram, bought in Oct/05:rolleyes:

2. El Phantasmo macrumors member

hook the external drive to the iBook and it will ask you if you want to use it for time machine backup... say YES.

Start the MacBook for the first time and when it asks if you whish to recover your data, connect the external drive and choose to restore from time machine backup... wait for a few minutes and you should have ALL your old apps, settings, documents, EVERYTHING setup right there in your new laptop...

(i know this 'cause i just did it a couple hours ago :D)

3. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

There's also the migration asst. When first starting up new MB, it'll ask you how much to transfer and what. I always go for identities, network settings, apps, photo lib, pretty much the works. Then it'll walk you through target disk mode. It's a lot easier than time machining. Be sure you have a firewire cable handy.

This option will make your brand new MB look like your old iBook which I always found handy.

Hope you enjoy:)

4. mbopy22 thread starter macrumors 6502

mbopy22

Thanks, I think I´ll go with the second option, since my iBook still runs Tiger, so no Time Machine...

I can hardly wait until wednesday.... :eek:

5. Dubba macrumors regular

Personally, I actually like to re-install everything from scratch. To me, it serves a few purposes:

• You only bring over what you need, and get rid of the 'junk';
    • It's a much 'cleaner' install;

Granted, it does take a little longer, but I think it is worth it.

Just my two cents.

6. mbopy22 thread starter macrumors 6502

mbopy22

Thanks, would you be soo kind to add another 2 cents and tell me how to do that??? :confused:

7. mbopy22 thread starter macrumors 6502

mbopy22

8. ItTakesII macrumors member

ItTakesII

I think he means just re-install everything you installed in your computer again, like you said in your first post

9. Holmes89 macrumors regular

Holmes89

I know you can transfer via Firewire but I forget how.... Do you know if you can do that from PC to Mac?

10. Holmes89 macrumors regular

Holmes89

Okay I remember now, connect the two computers via firewire. Then when you turn your iBook on (or any other machine you want to see the hard drive) hold down T, you will see an icon pop up on the Macbook (master in this case) and will be able to access all files on the hard drive of the iBook (slave) this works with all Macs. Hope that helps.

11. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

I tried doing this, with my old iBook 12" G3, to my iBook 14" G4 when I was upgrading it to Leopard.

I forgot that sometimes, it burns out the FW port on the computers. That's what happend to mine.

I suggest using an external drive or a network cable to transfer your data...

12. mbopy22 thread starter macrumors 6502

mbopy22

Burns??? DAM...N

So you think that I can transfer all my data (mostly music, pictures and word doc) to my external lacie HD, then from there just transfer it to the BlacBook?? just dragging??? using either firewire or USB??
    Then once I do that? should I delete everything from the external HD and then let Time Machine re-save everything for back up???

I still have 2 days... :eek:

13. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

Just use the migration assistant and copy everything over. You'll save a lot of time this way, with only infinitesimally small differences compared to much longer alternative methods.

As for target disk mode apparently burning out firewire ports, that is like saying you shouldn't drive a car because they occasionally explode. Don't worry about it.

14. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

erm... it is most certainly NOT supposed to burn out the FW port... macs are designed to be able to be used in target disc mode (which is what it's doing when you're using the migration assistant)... if the port dies that is a hardware failure, not something you should expect at all...

15. mbopy22 thread starter macrumors 6502

mbopy22

It gets here T O M O R R O W

I have a tiny problem... I don´t have any firewire cable, only the one that came with my external HD. :eek:

Can I use Carbon Copy Cloner to back up everything from my iBook to the external HD and then to the BlackBook???

16. mbopy22 thread starter macrumors 6502

mbopy22

Help... I need somebody... HELP... not just anybody... HEEEEEEEEE EEEEE LP

Yeah, ok enough with the signing :D (I'll leave that to my shower time on saturday) Really anybody???

17. Shackler macrumors 6502a

Shackler

Relax just use the external HDD. Backup your ibook and transfer away.
    Hell you could even use your ipod

18. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

Just buy a firewire cable. They cost nothing in any computer/electronics shop. Save yourself a lot of hassle.

19. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

Seriously, the migration assistant is the easiest way to do this. It will copy over everything to the new computer and set it up like you had it.

The only problem I can see happening for you is that the iBook is PowerPC chip while the MacBook is Intel. After you've done the migration, check to see if all the apps are the latest and are universal for the Intel chip.

20. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Both worked fine until I did this. It burned the port out on both iBooks.

I unfortunately remembered afterwards that some iBooks in Target Mode burn out the FW ports on itself and the computer it is hooked to.

The proverbial Ethernet cable between the two is the safest...

21. WillJS macrumors 65816

WillJS

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

Also be mindful that you may move some PPC apps over to the intel platform, which isn't good, so I would reinstall everything one by one.

22. ItTakesII macrumors member

ItTakesII

No, please go on. I love the Beatles :D

23. Macintosh Sauce macrumors 6502

Macintosh Sauce

I agree with you. My Mac Pro has a lot of stuff on it, and I don't want to install everything from it on my new black MacBook. Only the necessary things are getting put on there.

One game has to be on the MacBook though - Airburst Extreme from Strange Flavour/Freeverse. Reason: I thoroughly tested the original Airburst and Airburst Extreme along with my wife. Love the game! :)

24. mbopy22 thread starter macrumors 6502

mbopy22

IT IS HERE!!!!!!!!
    I've just opened!!!! Is the most BEAUTIFUL THING I'VE SEEN!!! since I opened my iBook obviously.

I have not turned on yet, I still have 2 more hours of office work, then doctor appointment, then I'll go home and turn it on.

Ok, I've decided to pass all my videos, docs and music to my external HD and from there to the MacBook. The rest of the app I'll download them as I need them;
    Adium,
    MainMenu,
    AppZapper,
    iSquint,
    Firefox(only for downloading videos from youtube, unless Safari 3 does this as well),
    Transmission,
    Limewire (anybody recommends other P2P app better, note I don't download "piracy'' only rare things, such as music version in concert)
    Google Earth, don't know why, but just in case
    Skype, same as above
    And I guess that is it...

I assume that my MS Office on the iBook can not be exported to the MacBook, and I'll have to buy a new one, am I right????

What I said I'll do is what you meant??? or did you mean to reinstall Leopard itself.

When I was younger... so much younger than today... I never needed anybody... bla bla bla... Help Me if you can...

TRUE, that is in the US, here nobody knows what a FW is, or at least most of the people I've asked, since everybody uses PC here.
    By here I mean my country, Paraguay - South America, if you're curious google it :p

25. ItTakesII macrumors member

ItTakesII