New Blackbook or Refurb'd MBP?? Cost is an issue!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MacNewbie07, Jun 27, 2007.

1. MacNewbie07 macrumors newbie

I noticed there are some 2.16GHz 15.4" MBP's in Apple's refurbished store for $1599 + tax.

I think the main differences between one of these and a new Blackbook are the HDs (120 in MBP vs 160), the dedicated graphics card, and screen size. Oh, and the DVD drive is faster and supports DL in the new Macbook. I'm not overly worried about the HD, cause I have an extra 250GB external drive for storage. And I have an external DVD-DL drive too.

For me it's mostly about cost. I can get the Blackbook on Amazon for $1400 after $100 MIR, whereas the refurb'd MBP would run me around $1734. I was thinking that the extra $334 might be worth the larger screen and dedicated graphics RAM.

I don't plan on doing any 3D gaming, but want to get into some video editing (I think iMovie would do it for me). I will be in school full-time in the Fall so portability is a small issue also, although I think I could carry the MBP in my backpack too (it's only .5 lbs heavier, right?).

Any thoughts/advice out there?? I guess I'm wondering if the refurb'd MBP is better "value" for the money than a new Macbook.

Also, is anyone familiar with any problems buying a refurbished machine? I bought a 20GB iPod (refurbished) on Apple's site a couple years ago and it did die on me, but fortunately was still under warranty.

Any and all info muchly appreciated! I'm right on the cusp of pulling the trigger on this :|

2. ktbubster macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

I don't think the graphics card will really be an issue for you if you aren't gaming, but it's probably always nice to have as far as future proofing.

I personally went for the macbook pro because of the screen realstate. I'm in college full time and take my mbp everywhere with no hassle at all. It fits in all basic bags pretty ok with a sleeve on. I haven't had any problems. The bigger screen imo is definitely worth it. I can't imagine working on a mb for long periods of time... specially if you want to do any sort of movie editing or intro graphics stuff. Also.... you can get it in matte which is nice as far as color matching goes.

Between the blackbook and mbp I definitely think that a refurb mbp is a better deal. If you are a student though... i'd check with your university's own computer store (if they have one) and see if they have any good clearance items or anything.

My university has their own store that works with apple and I got my bf a clearance new in box 2.16 cd for 1200. Although if you want the c2d you'll basically be good with the refurb store.

I got my own computer refurb and have had no problems at all with it. The fact your ipod died is probably not related to it being refurb in the least. Refurbs are completely the same as new ones, except they have been looked over again and any problems that were in them before were fixed, which could be construde as better because they were looked over a second time... and if you were to get a new one YOU may be the one with the first run of problems enouh to return it.

I always buy refurb. The amount you save is worth getting it in a brown box for me. You can always find a box online if you want to sell it and you are worried about the resell value being affected.

Now if you would be happy with a WHITE macbook then... the difference would be greater, and I may say it might be worth it getting just a plain macbook... but vs the blackbook, the refurb mbp is a much better deal.

3. MacNewbie07 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info!

My University's computer store does its Apple sales through the Apple site, so no options there other than the Education discount.

I was teetering between the two last week, and leaning towards the MBP when I went into the retail store to size them up and the 2 guys I spoke with who worked there basically told me that the MBP would probably be more than I need. I didn't tell them that I was considering buying a refurbished one though.

Good to know that the MBP isn't too big to lug around campus!

4. nnick macrumors regular

nnick

If you have a nice monitor at home and do most of your editing there I would get the MB. If not, the refurb MBP will be a bit easier on the eyes when editing video. I am using a MB to edit video in FCE but I plan on moving up to a MBP as soon as my local Apple store gets some in because it is very nice to have more screen space that can come with me wherever I go. Either way you can't go wrong.

5. Igantius macrumors 65816

In terms of CPU power there's nothing to distinguish the machines from each other and from what you've said, there's nothing you'll need the MBP's video card for. Whether you were using it iMovie or FCP to edit video, you would get identical performance from with machine (http://creativemac.digitalmedianet.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=43717).

If money is a real issue, I would never recommend the black MB as you are paying a premium for the black enclosure - although I think they do look best and worth it if you don't mind paying extra for the privilege.

IMO the big advantage for you is the MBP's bigger screen, although personally I would always use a laptop in conjunction with an external monitor when not on the move.

In your position I would get the mid-range MB - it's much cheaper, has better battery life, easily upgradable hard drive, slightly more portable, better wireless.