New Blackbook ordered from Amazon!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by tmackgt89, Mar 5, 2008.

1. tmackgt89 macrumors member

I ordered my first Mac today! The new Blackbook from Amazon. No sales tax and a $100 rebate to boot!! I initially was going to buy used from eBay but used prices were so close to new that it made no sense. Then I was going to buy the refurb Blackbook from Apple for $1124 (1049 + 7% tax) but they were gone today....

So I pulled the trigger on the newest Blackbook.

I am really looking forward to it getting here tomorrow! (only $30 for FedEx overnight) What are some things that I should install right away? I am going to buy iWork this weekend and I will install Slingplayer, but what are the MUST haves for my new Mac?

Thanks in advance for all the help I am sure I will need over the next few months :cool:

2. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

congrats on the new mac. as for software installs, i'd recommend getting perian and flip4mac. i'm also quite fond of sizzlingkeys.

3. X5-452 macrumors 6502

X5-452

Congratulations! You're going to love your new :apple:

As for software? I second Perian and Flip4Mac. You may want to try Growl, as well as smcFanControl to keep tabs on your fans and prevent overheating.

4. Shotglass macrumors 65816

Shotglass

If you use IM at all, you will love Adium. It's very convenient and customizable, plus it does all the major protocols like MSN, ICQ, YIM, AIM, and much more.

5. chrismac00 macrumors 6502a

Good that you are getting iWork! It's great! 100% better than Microsoft Office I think. You can also get other software like .Mac

6. frankiepdx macrumors regular

frankiepdx

7. Cyroceon macrumors 6502a

Cyroceon

Here is my current application list:

A52 Universal Sound Codec (For use with AC3 sound encoded videos)
    Adobe Photoshop CS3 - You know
    Azureus - Torrents
    Crossover - Run Steam and a couple other windows apps
    Firefox - In case I can't run something with Safari
    Handbrake - Conversion from DVD to MP4 etc...
    InsomniaX - Keeps your screen on when you close lid
    Limewire - P2P
    MactheRipper - Ripping from DVD to Video_TS folder
    MS Office 2008 - You know
    Perian 1.1 - All in one video codec
    Roxio Toast Titanium 8 - Burning software to burn ISOs, Bins, etc.
    Skype - Video Conference
    Turbo Tax - Taxes
    UnRarX - Zip/Rar utility
    Visual Hub - Any type video conversion (ex. avi to mp4, mp4 to avi, etc..)
    VMWare Fusion - Virtual Machine Emulation for Windows
    Wavepad - Good basic sound editor
    WM Components (Flip4Mac) - Codec for .wmv and a few other extensions
    XBench - Simple benchmarking program

8. Macintosh Sauce macrumors 6502

Macintosh Sauce

I am going to be buying a new black MacBook any day now. I like the fact that if I order off of them I would pay no state sales tax. God bless Amazon! LOL Right now, without paying the sales tax it is as cheap as an academic purchase at the Apple Store but you also get $100 back a bit later. Very tempting indeed...

EDIT: I just ordered the black MacBook and Apple Wireless Keyboard. It will be here tomorrow via overnight shipping for only $7.98 with my Amazon Prime shipping. This is perfect timing too, because my Z-Cover keyboard skins are coming sometime on Friday. Two days ago, I received my 4 GB SAMSUNG RAM from OWC, so I am ready to pop this in as soon as I verify the MacBook is in acceptable condition. Then I will do a clean install to get rid of any unnecessary printer drivers (since I have the new Kodak EasyShare 5500 AiO printer).

9. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

I got mine - you'll love it.

I like watching videos with the glossy screen and black border... :D

10. DaBrain macrumors 65816

DaBrain

CONGRATS!!! You will LOVE it! Let us know when it comes in and what you think once you got it in your paws--)) :)

11. Macintosh Sauce macrumors 6502

Macintosh Sauce

I am happy you are enjoying yours. :) Mine will be here by 3:00 p.m. tomorrow afternoon, but it will most likely arrive before noon. FINALLY I am going to have a MacBook! I used to have an iBook (Tangerine) but that was a long time ago. LOL

12. tmackgt89 thread starter macrumors member

It's here - and I LOVE IT!

It came in yesterday morning and I have been playing with it ever since. I installed Handbrake, SlingPlayer, iStumbler, Perian, and Adium right away. I will take some pics with my D200 and Tamron Macro lens and post them over the weekend!

I am thinking about buying a Moshi Palmguard and am looking for advice on the best Keyboard cover to buy. The iSkin site says that their Black cover is not compatible with the newer MacBooks. Is there a consensus here on the best keyoard skin to buy??

I am headed out to the Apple store to buy Toast 8 and iWork!

Thanks for the help!

13. Az234 macrumors newbie

Sorry to hijack but rather than staring a new thread.
    I am visiting the usa for 3 weeks soon and am looking to buy a black macbook.
    I am a uk student and want to know the best place to buy one i am going to florida.
    How do you get the amazon rebate as this makes it very cheap but unsure if i will be able to get it in the 3 weeks.

Thanks

14. Macula macrumors 6502

Macula

Usually rebates arrive in the form of a US check 8-12 weeks upon submitting the form. I doubt the check could be cashed at a non-US bank, even though I am not completely sure about this.

15. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

Congrats! Your fun is just beginning. :)

You will love Toast 8.

16. Macintosh Sauce macrumors 6502

Macintosh Sauce

Cool. Congratulations on your new MacBook. For keyboard covers go to http://www.zcover.com/. I ordered three of them for my new MacBook and Apple Wireless Keyboard - they both use the same keyboard skin.

17. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

Congrats. I'm confused though. You jumped from a 1100 dollar laptop to a 1500 dollar laptop?

18. Macintosh Sauce macrumors 6502

Macintosh Sauce

Well... I got my new black MacBook earlier this afternoon. It's very impressive with the 2 GB RAM, but I will be popping that out soon and put in the 4 GB SAMSUNG RAM I ordered from OWC. The 2 GB will go in my wife's older black MacBook which only has 1 GB RAM.

Thankfully, my new zCover keyboard skins arrived at the same time as the MacBook. The new Apple Wireless Keyboard I purchased with the MacBook also uses the same keyboard skin - sweet!

Just checking out the LCD screen before I do a clean install of Leopard, so I don't have to install all those stupid printer drivers. I always do that with any new Mac... :)

It's nice to be able to finally afford a MacBook for myself. I really need this because I substitute teach and I need a notebook to work on while not teaching. Also, I am going to visit family and friends in Canada in a few months, and I will need my MacBook to work on my university studies while there.

19. connoisseur macrumors member