New Blackbook, Trackpad problems!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by stagmeister, May 21, 2008.

1. stagmeister macrumors regular

Today I purchased a brand-new BlackBook (2.4 Ghz) from the apple store. I was super-excited - and still am - but have still yet to get back to "work". Everything was going great until I ran the migration assistant from my old PB G4, and then things got funny - the trackpad stopped working! Now it works with a USB mouse plugged in but not otherwise.

I cleared out a lot of my old caches and the library generally, trying to find what was causing the problem but it seems to me that something more deep down was going on so I am currently reinstalling the OS and hoping that does something. Aah! I hope I didn't get a malfunctioning model... has anyone else had similar problems with trying to bring over data from a PPC to an Intel Mac?

Thanks
    Jason

2. John01021988 macrumors 6502

I think the best you can do is do a clean leopard install, migrating from PPC to Intel might be frustrating. In the long run it will save you from encountering many nasty issues, like constant kernel panics, due to Hardware preferences differ from the current ones in your Intel Macbook.

3. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Yep, I couldn't do that to my February 28, '08 BlackBook. :eek:

4. stagmeister thread starter macrumors regular

So I reinstalled the OS and still it's not working!!! I'm trying it again but I suppose the bad sign is that when enter the install program, the mouse still is not working... I'll have go to into the apple store today but I can't get a genius appt. until like 3pm. This is freaking annoying! The new computer works like a DREAM - I just want the trackpad to work!

5. stagmeister thread starter macrumors regular

Just to let you know how it all turned out:

I took it back to the apple store. They ran diagnostics for about 5 minutes and then said they would exchange it for a new model! So within 10 minutes (the longest wait was for the manager to come over to sign the paperwork) I was out of the store with a new black macbook!

I brought it home, transferred everything over and it's pretty much golden! The people at the store were pretty dumbfounded by the trackpad issues, they said that they had never seen those before. I guess I had a flukey macbook...

6. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I'm glad everything worked out for you and your NEW BlackBook! :p