New Blackbook vs. base MBP?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kingcrowing, Jul 3, 2008.

1. kingcrowing macrumors 6502a

kingcrowing

Hey guys, so my current set up is the custom desktop in my sig, I've got $1600-$1800 to spend on a laptop, and I get the education discount at my University, so these are my two options:
    1)Blackbook and a 32GB iPod Touch for $1600 (tax free weekend next weekend)
    2)Base 2.4GHz 15.4" Macbook Pro with 8GB iPod Touch $1800

I've got over 20GB of music, but really 8GB is plenty for any one time, but it would be nice to have it all. I really am only going to use this computer some of the time, but I plan on keeping it for a few years so I'm thinking the MBP with the nvidia card might be better for Snow Leopard and future OS' and also if i get back into Photoshop CS4 once thats out. I know the blackbook would be fine, but I feel like the MBPs are higher quality as far as the case, keyboard, etc.

What do you guys think? The $200 is not much in the long run, thats just $50 a paycheck until school starts so I'm more worried about what will be better in the long run. Thanks for you input!

PS: Recently sold the blackbook and 20GB iPod in my sig, so I'm looking to replace them now.

2. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

I say go Pro since you want to keep it for a while and if you don't mind not having all your music.

It'll be easier to save money to upgrade the Touch if you needed more room than to upgrade a MacBook.

3. hipvamore macrumors regular

i had a macbook and i recently sold it and got the pro for the same reason that i'm gonna have it for a few years. its a totally bigger, better experience dude. go pro for sure

4. buddywalker macrumors newbie

I'd go with the Blacbook. The performance upgrades are not worth the price difference (the Blacbook actually comes with a bigger hard drive). I love my Blacbook, and I personally would hate not having all my music. Just my opinion.

5. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

Both are excellent machines and you'll be happy with either. The build quality on both is great. Go for the MBP if you want a larger screen and a dedicated card. Snow Leopard will still work perfectly fine on a MacBook though.

6. zakatov macrumors 6502a

zakatov

I wouldn't be so sure. Core Image/Core Animation runs mighty slow on those POS graphic cards. If not Snow Leopard, then the next one will definitely be too much for it to handle. Remember how the transparent menu bar was disabled on older macs even with decent video cards and dedicated video memory? That was just the beginning. As more and more things are offloaded to the GPU, the MBP will keep up, the MB will not.

7. kingcrowing thread starter macrumors 6502a

kingcrowing

I think you've got me there, I'm sure even if the blackbook can handle 10.6/7, the MBP will be able to do it better, and in three years I'd like to still have the most current OS running well... so I think I'll go for that, and then in a few years when the 32GB touch is standard (my first regular iPod was only 15GB just a few years ago...) I'll upgrade then.

8. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

I highly doubt that Apple is going to do anything so GPU intensive with its OS that you actually notice a difference running it on a machine with a several-year-old nVidia chip compared with an Intel one.

As you've had a MacBook already you'll know just how much better the keyboard is on it, and you'll also be aware of the better design it has compared with the MacBook Pro.

I think this is a no-brainer. You don't actually need the GPU but you're using it as a reason to buy a more expensive computer. Get the iPod and the computer that suits your needs NOW and forget about what might maybe won't I don't know happen in the future.

9. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

I agree with neiltc13, I highly doubt MB's are going to have more difficulty running Snow Leopard, an OS extension that is meant for all Intel macs in the first place.

As for the MBP, I'd say go with it if you need a dedicated graphics card. Other than that, you'll possibly encounter screen glitches and the aluminum is prone to dents / warps on the pro. On the upside the screen's bigger!

It depends on your needs really. If you're not always using top notch graphics intensive applications, a MB is sufficient. I have no problems running iTunes simultaniously to doing work on Final Cut pro on mine. It also runs vector graphics programs sans any problems.

10. ck37 macrumors newbie

I just asked almost the same question about a week ago. Was debating between the macbook and the base MBP. went to the store and really enjoyed working on the pro. The screen was great, having the dedicated card was something I might not need now but in two years might be of great help. Also I liked the backlit keyboard, and just the overall look. Also got a refurb one at a great price. So the price difference was not so bad.

In the end of the day you need to ask yourself what your using the machine for and what you might be using it for in a years time. The thing with macs is that the average computer user starts doing more things than they ever thought of because how easy it is to use OSX and the apps that come with it. Iphoto users sooner or later jump into photoshop etc. etc.

11. kingcrowing thread starter macrumors 6502a

kingcrowing

Seriously?
    The MBP has a MUCH nicer keyboard, not only does it have a backlight but it's a lot easier to type on and it just feels a lot more solid. And I'm not sure how the MB has a better design... their design is essentially the same just a different keyboard and materials. I've had powerbooks and an MPB in the past and dents aren't really an issue the way I use laptops so thats not really an issue for me. MOST people, apparently not you, will agree that regardless of if you need it or not the MBP is a nicer computer.

12. psychotropic macrumors regular

You mentioned a tax free weekend next week what is that? Is that through apple or your school or what?

13. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

This is definitely not the case. If anything the graphics will work better on the macbook as snow leopard is going for optimized code, not bloated graphics intensive stuff. There aren't going to be any mind blowing animation features, it's going to be basically the same as leopard but more streamlined.

14. gregk205 macrumors member

Keyboard is a personal preference. I have both computers and I have no problem with either. I don't even use the backlight on MBP because I don't need it and I would rather have a little better battery life with it off. But I do think that the all the keyboards on the Macs will eventually be the MacBook type. And everyone one of you that says you hate it will get used to it. The difference for me now is the Multi touch. Now that I have it on my MBA and MBP I have a hard time surfing the web on my MB. The back and forward gesture with the trackpad is so useful. As soon as they put that on a MacBook I will buy a new one. The MBP is a little big to carry around sometimes.

15. kingcrowing thread starter macrumors 6502a

kingcrowing

The Tax free weekend is for the State of Vermont July 12-13 on all personal items under $2,000.

I don't think you got what he was saying, or me. Eventually the OS and apps (Like photoshop CS4) is going to use the GPU to its advantage when doing normal tasks, things it already does will be more off loaded onto the GPU, like expose for example so that there is LESS load on the CPU. This is the future of OSs, Vista has done it, I think that leopard has started to do it, Adobe and other major software companies are doing it too. So probably it won't make a difference for snow leopard, but saying that an integrated GPU will be better because the OS is more streamlined isn't a very good argument.

I'm not going to be using the power of the GPU on either one that often, but having a more powerful discreet card will never be a hindrance, the MBP is already rated for a longer battery life as it is so personally I'd rather have more power for the future incase it is needed than not use it.