Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macnificant

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2008
I should be getting my Blackbook in the mail today. Should I charge the battery before using it or just let it drain the battery down then charge it fully?

Macintosh Sauce

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2006
USA
I should be getting my Blackbook in the mail today. Should I charge the battery before using it or just let it drain the battery down then charge it fully?
Yes, you should do a full charge of the battery before using it on the battery for the first time. This is to ensure that the battery is nice and healthy when you start using it.

DHagan4755

macrumors 68020
Jul 18, 2002
Massachusetts
You should really read the directions that come with the computer. Charging it out of the box may be well and good, but it's a long way from calibrating the battery like Apple recommends.

krye

macrumors 68000
Aug 21, 2007
USA

Once you power up your machine for the first time, check the battery charge in the top right hand side of your menu bar. If it's not 100% I would let it charge up to 100%. If it doesn not reach 100% then I would calibrate it.

Apple recommends that you calibrate your battery at least once a month. Discharge the battery all the way, remove it from the machine for 4 hours, then replace the battery and let it charge all the way up.

The new baterries nowadays are not a prone to the "memory" issues of the old days. I would not be too concerned about conditioning your battery the day you get it. Maybe after a few weeks of normal use, I'd calibrate it. Mine, even though it's been plugged in over night might read 98% instead of 100%. At that point I calibrate it. Next time I charge it, it will read 100%. I don't calibrate it every month. I try to, but in reality, probably every 2-3 months.

TUD

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2008
Directly from :apple:

Attachments

• Apple Batt Calibrate.png
    Apple Batt Calibrate.png
    60.2 KB · Views: 181

Macnificant

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2008
Once you power up your machine for the first time, check the battery charge in the top right hand side of your menu bar. If it's not 100% I would let it charge up to 100%. If it doesn not reach 100% then I would calibrate it.

Apple recommends that you calibrate your battery at least once a month. Discharge the battery all the way, remove it from the machine for 4 hours, then replace the battery and let it charge all the way up.

The new baterries nowadays are not a prone to the "memory" issues of the old days. I would not be too concerned about conditioning your battery the day you get it. Maybe after a few weeks of normal use, I'd calibrate it. Mine, even though it's been plugged in over night might read 98% instead of 100%. At that point I calibrate it. Next time I charge it, it will read 100%. I don't calibrate it every month. I try to, but in reality, probably every 2-3 months.

Blackbook just came in the mail. I read to booklet and plugged it in to charge. How long does it take to charge! Can't wait to use it.

krye

macrumors 68000
Aug 21, 2007
USA
Blackbook just came in the mail. I read to booklet and plugged it in to charge. How long does it take to charge! Can't wait to use it.

While it is charging, the light on the MagSafe connector will be orange. It turns green when you're all charged. It only takes a few hours.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.