New bluetooth keyboard hack?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by bmpwe, Dec 5, 2007.

1. bmpwe macrumors member

I'm one of the guys having a hard time with my MBP's keyboard in Leopard.

I bought a bluetooth keyboard to use while the problem is getting sorted out. I was surprised to see that the key layout (in terms of scale) are identical for the bluetooth and that on my MBP.

That lead me to wonder if I could swap out the keys (or find some used ones on ebay) from the MBP to the bluetooth keyboard. I'd want to do this because I hate that the new keyboards have completely flat keys!

After looking closer at the bluetooth keyboard, it seems that the metal between the keys would have to be removed (I've been looking for an excuse to buy a dremal :)), and possibly a little room on the top, bottom, left, and right to create room for the larger "Pro" keys.

The only downside I can see would be the keyboard loosing some strength, and possibly killing a new $80 keyboard.

Anyone ever heard of this being done?

Attached Files:

2. zakatov macrumors 6502a

zakatov

3. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I haven't and I think you've done some good research. If you aren't too scared that you'll kill your keyboard I'd do it. I agree; the Bluetooth keyboard just isn't as easy to type on. I make a lot more mistakes on my wife's MB than on my PB. I don't think the keys depress far enough and it's a lot harder to touch type.

4. splashtech macrumors regular

Are those two pictures you have attached both photos taken by you, of your two systems/keyboards? If so, then it will not work since your keyboard layouts do vary. The return keys are different, along with the shift area in the left.

It looks like an american layout on the MBP and UK layout on the keyboard. But I havent seen any MBPs in real life so maybe thats how they are actually laid out.

However, if they are both actually the same layout then I would be very interested to see it done.

(OT) - Also, I'm curious... how much typing have you done on the new bt keyboard? I bought the wired one and it took an hour or two but I found it much nicer after a little while. Going back to my PC which has a normal chunky keyboard was not so nice.... the keys seem to travel far too far.

5. bmpwe thread starter macrumors member

Good catch. No their not the exact layouts. I just lifted the keyboards off of ebay. The actual layouts are identical.
    Enough to not like the keys. I have a hard time knowing where my fingers are on the flat keys. My MBP has keys that are sloped to the center, letting my know if my finger tips are in the center of the key.

I'm going to give this a shot after new years... I'll let ya'll know how it goes.

6. splashtech macrumors regular

Well like I said, I like the current keyboard as it is. But I will still follow this with interest. Good mods are always worth watching.

Good luck :)