Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tron72

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 23, 2007
I just purchased a black/space gray Mini 2 from Target. When I got home I noticed the box cover looked different from what I'm used to seeing for the mini boxes, which has been a black mini with a blue wallpaper. Mine has a black mini with a plain black wallpaper (see attached photos). Different than all the mini 2 box covers I could find using a google image search and the box Apple is showing on their website. Has anyone else received a box like mine? Unfortunately I can't crack it open till Christmas but I could return it for another if this seems unusual. The sticker on the back does say "includes iPad mini with retina display". Thanks on advance for your help.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 3,293

RebornProphet

Suspended
Nov 3, 2013
The blue wallpaper was iOS 7.

Probably just a change to the packaging to reflect the newer build and the fact it doesn't come with iOS 7 pre installed and that's no longer the stock wallpaper.

Tron72

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 23, 2007
True but seems strange though since I would think they would use the ios8 wallpaper shown on the mini 3. I didn't take notice of the white mini 2 box since Target was a mad house tonight.

Tron72

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 23, 2007
Phew. Actually I just went on Apples website on my MacBook and noticed they are now using the black wallpaper box cover like mine. I initially checked the mini 2's box cover on Apple's mobile site which is still showing the blue ios7 wallpaper, different than their desktop site. I can sleep now. Thanks.

RebornProphet

Suspended
Nov 3, 2013
Why would it have mattered? It's only a box and you know it's a Mini with Retina Display by reading the label on the reverse/bottom of the packaging.

NorthSeaBeach

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2014
The Hague
I had a silver Mini 2 with a different box, all white wallpaper with the usual apps on it. I guess with SG the picture shows an all black wallpaper. Same thing with the Air 1. What it means is that the Mini 2/Air 1 in that box was assembled after the release of iOS 8 and has that version of iOS pre-installed.

If you rather have 7.1.2 pre-installed (I know I do), change it for one in a box with the old picture on it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.