New BT Keyboard v. Old BT Keyboard

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Kan-O-Z, Aug 9, 2007.

1. Kan-O-Z macrumors 6502

I just recieved my 'older' BT Keyboard just a few days ago. I really do like the styling of the new one. I have a Macbook Pro and want the wireless connectivity when I use it like a desktop computer. I think the new keyboard would match the Macbook Pro nicely. It really bothers me that the new one doesn't have an option to buy with the numeric keypad. I know the wired one has the numeric keypad but I don't want to deal with wires. After all I have a laptop and want to minimize the wires needed to connect/disconnect when I take it with me.

1. Any opinions on whether I should keep the older BT keyboard or go with the smaller new one?

2. Can I buy a new 'wired' keyboard and hook it up to my airport extreme and have it connect to my laptop wirelessly in that way?

Kan-O-Z

2. LeviG macrumors 65816

1) not used it but its £10 more than the old one in the uk and its missing the number pad.

2) no.

3. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

The missing numpad really bothers me too. If it was the same as the wired version but wireless (i.e. no missing keys) then I'd buy a wireless kit to replace mine in a hearbeat. As it is, I'd rather keep my nice full featured keyboard. I really use the numpad and page up/down etc keys a lot and while I can live without them on a laptop, not having them on a desktop keyboard is, well, pathetic!

4. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

I presume you can buy a wireless (or wired) keypad, but you shouldn't have to. It's a bit crazy to remove the number pad on a desktop computer. There seems to be an implied assumption that mac users don't do numbers in any big way.

The new one does look nice though.

Keep the old one - I have one and it's great with my mb.

5. LeviG macrumors 65816

I'm not overly concerned about the keyboard as I intend to get one for a media centre mac mini, although I would want a number pad for a more full time usage.

6. md1626 macrumors newbie

yeah me too. im not really sure what to do. i want the wireless freedom but i really want the numeric keypad because just to get the wireless is the exact same thing as my macbook pro keypad so there really is no point

7. Trepex macrumors 6502a

Trepex

Good point, except if I'm using my MBP with my external display, I prefer to have a separate keyboard instead of trying to type on the lappy while looking at the other screen.

8. md1626 macrumors newbie

any chance that they will release a new wireless keyboard with the numeric keypad or no?

9. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

Of course they will! They just have to milk the Rev. A suckers out of $79US first. I don't *need* it so I'll probably wait. I sure do want one!

10. Mac One macrumors member

Though I don't own the new one, I would say keep the old one. It seems to be more ergonomic and would be better for your hands when you're using it for extended periods of time.
    You should also remember the restocking fee if you do decide to return it.

11. md1626 macrumors newbie

how long do you think it would be before they would make the full wireless keyboard with the numeric keyboard. have they done this before with the apple pro keyboard (releasing the wireless small and then big)?

12. willyboy macrumors newbie

It seems I am in the minority here...

I do not actually use my num pad on my old keyboard. As a matter of fact I think it interrupts the design and would do the same for the new one...Of course I do not crunch numbers all day.....Each to their own. It seems like I am on my own with this..
    Cheers, W
    2 ipods firewire 1gen
    ipod 3gen
    ipod shuff 1gen
    ipod shuff 2gen
    ipod nano 1gen
    ipod nano 2gen
    ipod 80G 5.5gen
    G3 Original Bondi 233 MHZ
    G4 Cube 450 MHZ - 15in Studio Display
    G4 PBTi 400MHZ
    Macbook C2D