New bug in 2.2.1 wifi and airplane mode

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by yetanotherdave, Feb 8, 2009.

1. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

I've noticed a new bug which I'm sure wasn't there in 2.2.

If you have wifi on, and then enable airplane mode, it disabled the phone and wifi, as expected. When you turn airplane off it used to re-enable both the phone and wifi, now it just turns the phone back on, you have to turn wifi back on seperately.

Anyone else getting this? Or just me?
    *goes to submit bug report to apple*

2. RonCarr macrumors regular

RonCarr

Mine turns WiFi back on after turning Airplane mode off. Actualy, it turns WiFi on even if it was off before! :confused:

3. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

My Wifi turned back on after I turned off Airplane mode, so I guess isolated case only?

4. southerndoc macrumors 65816

southerndoc

Mine has done this since v2. I'm using the original iPhone. Are you using the 3G iPhone or original one?

5. yetanotherdave thread starter macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

Ugh, that must be annoying :(

Maybe, if so it's an odd bug...

3g

6. yetanotherdave thread starter macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

Ok, I restarted my phone and it's doing this now instead of my original problem.
    Come on 2.3...

7. RonCarr macrumors regular

RonCarr

Yeah it is really strange. Especially since you have to log into my campus WiFi. If i don't notice that it turned WiFi on (because it doesn't always show that WiFi is on in the task bar) then I will miss emails and when I try to open an app that uses the internet I find out that it cut WiFi back on so then I have to go into the settings and turn it off first.

8. NeoMayhem macrumors 6502a

Mine has done this before, but it usually doesn't happen. I just use SBSettings now to turn off the phone and always leave WiFi on.

9. pacohaas macrumors 6502a

3.0 didn't fix it

This has been a problem for a while, and looks like it's still there in 3.0 on my 3GS. I guess it's not a big enough issue for Apple to fix, so what if users think they're in Airplane Mode when in fact the Wifi function can be turned on and off.

There should be a warning when trying to turn on Wifi in Airplane mode, and that warning should have the option of turning Airplane mode off: "To enable Wifi, you must exit Airplane Mode, do you want to do that?" Just a simple warning like that would be nice.

Attached Files:

10. ooo macrumors 6502

Well there are airplanes that have wifi in it, so exiting airplane mode to enable wifi wouldn't be advised.

11. pacohaas macrumors 6502a

True, although some sort of warning would be nice since it DOES disable Wifi when you turn on Airplane Mode. I hadn't thought of that though. This could have been a bug for Apple that ended up turning into a feature :)

I would revise the warning I mentioned above to: "You are trying to enable Wifi while in Airplane Mode, are you sure you want to do this?" with 3 options: "Yes", "No", "Exit Airplane Mode"

12. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPod touch 32GB: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

Seeing as how the airplane mode switch is right above the wifi one, what's the benefit in complicating things with dialog warnings?

13. pacohaas macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/7A341)

Yeah, you're probably right

14. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Yeah, I doubt you're going to see a 2.3 anytime soon.