New buyer - ADC, student discount, GST refund??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MileySven, Jun 1, 2011.

1. MileySven macrumors newbie

Hi guys, I'm very new to this so bear with me if I say/do anything stupid.

Here's the breakdown; I'm heading to Hong Kong in around 1 month and was planning on buying my first macbook pro there (aiming for a high end 15" for use for small time studio recording needs). And I'm looking for some advice on the best way to go about getting the most for my money. Here's a few questions that I've come across:

- I'm eligible for an education price (I'm a full time student in the UK) so my first question has to be; is this still valid to use in the Hong Kong store?

- Secondly, is it worth me signing up for an ADC student membership? I know that you get a larger discount than the standard student one (I've read about 20%) but I've failed to see anywhere online that you can actually see this discount in action, all the sites that people have posted are dead.. How does this actually work? Is there a code you punch in at the checkout or something?

- Thirdly, Is there a limit to the amount of units I can buy using my student/ADC student discount in one session? I've heard you can only use student once a year and ADC student once a lifetime but can I order 2 or 3 MBP's in one cart? (with aims to re-sell them once back in the UK, bit of extra dolla in the old piggy bank ;) - also what’s the deal with customs on this? Do I have to have opened the packaging or anything like that?? I don't want to get arrested for smuggling electrical goods :eek:)

- Fourthly (sorry this is getting kinda lengthy..), Whilst in HK I'd be getting my order sent to a hotel, is this kosha??

- And finally (thanks for your patience :)), when I get back to London how do I go about reclaiming the GST? (especially if the address on the invoice for the order is to my hotel in HK?)

Thank you for any help you can give :D I realise that some of these things are answered elsewhere but I've felt like a headless chicken trying to track down all the answers, most of which seem to be out dated.

2. MileySven thread starter macrumors newbie

P.s.

Just read that Hong Kong is a tax free city, so I gues that rules out one question.. :D

3. chrfr macrumors 603

There's only one level of Mac developer program now, and there are no more hardware discounts.

4. MileySven thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, and I think I have the customs thing sorted for getting back to the UK.

But can anyone clarify if I can use my UK student enrolment in HK?

5. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

The rule is usually that you have be at uni in that country. However, lots of people get the discount when they are abroad anyway, just smile and be polite.

Are you accounting for AppleCare in the price? Almost all UK HE students get ~14% off Macs and a 3 year warranty completely free when they buy online on the UK education store. Factor that in! Details here.