New buyer, looking for help

Discussion in 'iMac' started by thanksinadvance, Mar 8, 2013.

1. thanksinadvance macrumors newbie

Hey guys, first time imac buyer here.

It's finally time to get rid of my old college computer and I am for sure getting an iMac. I know I want a 27 in version, I just don't know the exact model i should consider. I am thinking about getting a refurbished one to save some bucks while getting the extra ram. I am not a heavy user anymore, mostly browsing and more than likely some gaming (used to pc game but the old inspiron 7000 cant handle it.) basically i am wondering if buying this years model is worth it or not. Refurb or not? getting the high end model or not? I'm ready to spend the dough but I want a good deal and good computer that will last me for years. Any suggestions help, thanks

ps. any cool accessories I "need"?
    pss. is the printer the apple store tries to bundle any good??

2. Jeeg macrumors member

Personally I think getting the 1TB fusion drive is the minimum you need, the internal SSD in the fusion drive will make a world of difference in load speed if you're coming from mechanical hard disks.

Getting the higher end 27" with GTX675MX is also good, its considerably faster than the 660M from the low end 27". I think these upgrades will make your computer last a long time.

As for accessories, I chose the trackpad instead of the magic mouse for my iMac, I have a dedicated wired mouse for my precision needs and I love the gesture based shortcuts from the trackpad on the MacBook Pros.

3. turtlez macrumors 6502a

turtlez

I chose the magic trackpad because I don't like the feel of the magic mouse, very uncomfy. I already have a razer mouse too but guess what. One month into using the trackpad and I have gotten rid of my mouse all together. I just use the trackpad now and love it. Can do so many things on it so easily. I don't game on the computer it is for work and movies only. I couldn't imagine games without a mouse honestly but then if you are a hardcore gamer you wouldn't have bought a mac anyway xD. So there you go have it, magic trackpad all the way!