New Buyers Dont Worry Macrumors make you paranoid!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fallen1981, Nov 19, 2008.

1. fallen1981 macrumors newbie

I thought I would just throw in a comment about my buying experience with the new MBP for potential new buyers. Just received my 2.8 320 7200 and my girlfriend bought the upper retail model. Checked the screens on both I have the LG and she has the Chi Mai. Hers is actually a replacement, the original had a dent. Took no time to replace.

One issue I have been reading a lot about was with regards to screen. Now I cant really notice a big difference between the two unless I was being really picky. The resolution is just about perfect for the screen size and seems a lot better that other notebooks currently available on the market. This however has already been mentioned in another thread. The design is out of this world and I have still not seen another laptop that matches it. Including new design from HP, Voodoo, Dell etc

What is my point? Well my point is there is absolutely nothing wrong with apple products and reading macrumours make one very apprehensive about buying sometimes. It took me nearly a month to get round to ordering because of what a read in these Forums especially with regard to screen issues and cosmetic flaws. My advice is take everything negative you read here with a pinch of salt.

Whilst Im not saying there are no problems for some people including my girlfriend, Apple from my experience seems quite resonable about resolving the matter at least in the UK and especially if you buy from them direct. No restocking fees etc. My experience returning a dell was a lot worst. Also, think about how many ordinary non-tech people buy every day without issues. I mean I dont even think I would have been aware of the different screen panals unless reading here first.

I know I have only really touched on a couple of things so Ill sum up by saying to all new buyers dont worry and buy the damn laptop and enjoy it!!!! And as people in most threads have said there will alway be something better aroung the corner. So What!:D

2. mknawabi macrumors 6502

mknawabi

Seriously. I received mine on Monday and it was immaculate.

3. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

Must agree - I picked up a 2.53/4GB model at the Bullring store today, and it is perfect. No wonky keys, no scratches or dents, the battery cover doesn't budge an inch and I got the LG screen. Gorgeous machine, far better than the PB it has replaced.

4. smokedog macrumors regular

I didn't let the threads about problematic Macbook Pro worry me but I still got a faulty item, flickering screen and over heating problem when gaming in windows.

My first Mac too but I got a replacement on coming.

5. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I agree. You just have to remember that the people with problems post on the forums and the people with out problems keep quiet.

6. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

This forum also made me worry for no reason, mine was also immaculate.

@fallen1981: btw have you noticed any remarkable differences between the LG and Chi Mai screens? I have a Chi Mai. It needed calibration, now the colors pop.

7. jbhtex macrumors newbie

I think all the new books are nice and feel wonderful in the hands. I am still not able to take the leap on having the trackpad with no button. I was actually in the store today for over an hour playing with a couple. I almost made the leap but decided to hold off.

Good luck new buyers!

8. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

The new trackpad took me some getting used to, breaking of old habits. But there are no worries, you can just keep using it as if there is a button. Its just more efficient to learn the gestures, which come naturally after breaking old habits. I have completely stopped grabbing for the scrollbars and forward/back buttons :D

9. kleb macrumors newbie

I agree! my MBP is the best notebook I have used for many many years

10. LasseB macrumors newbie

I was very worried to say the least. Maybe I'm just being paranoid but I feel that my screen is not the best. Letters seem to be washed out (my display is a 9c84).

11. apolloa macrumors 604

apolloa

Well, I'm a UK buyer. I received my machine on 04/11, I called Apple the same day to return it due to smudges and marks behind the screen, and trust me they were big. Fine, but I am not so happy with apples 'quick' response as I too brought mine of the Apple website but as of yet have not received my replacement nor have I received notification informing me it has been despatched from China yet. I did call Apple on Saturday and they advised me it was still on track to be with me today or tomorrow. I am now predicting next week at the earliest, all this cause I chose the faster hard drive and a display adapter plus Apple remote.
    So yes they were happy to arrange a courier to pick up the defected machine and yes they were happy to send a full brand new replacement (Although if they didn't they would have experienced Mr nasty!) But no they are not fast in the slightest, 16 day's and counting........... And they picked my original one up on the 6th of November! The last email I got from them was a credit memo on the 13th.

Don't let it put you off buying, just take the smart router and buy from a store and then get your own faster hard drive, and buy the Apple remote plus display adapters as separate items, that way you can just walk into a store to replace it rather then wait and wait.....

I'm beginning to miss it now :(

12. Ampidire macrumors 6502

Ampidire

Going to have to chime in here too, mine is perfect, and the only issue was recently software fixed trackpad issue, otherwise it's been smooth sailing.

13. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Can't buy macbook, clowns will eat me...can't buy macbook, clowns will eat me...

Yeah, you're right; it DOES make you paranoid!

14. SkylerXR macrumors newbie

I received my second 2.53 replacement today, and it's perfect, so yes I do agree that there's nothing to be "paranoid" about, but I definitely noticed a difference between the LG panel and the Chi-Mei panel and personally disliked the Chi-Mei panel quite a lot. In the end it comes down to what makes you happy, I thought the Chi-Mei had too much yellowness towards the bottom and the sides (not calibration related since it's an unevenness in backlight distribution), and LG is pretty much perfect in my opinion.

The first replacement was okay, except the black connecting strip between the screen panel and the actual body was broken and disconnected at one end, I tried pushing it back but it didn't work. That, along with some scuff marks/chips and a battery cycle count of 8 had me calling AppleCare again. They gave me another replacement without hassles, and again, I'm very happy to say that this one is perfect.

In the end I'm happy, I would have been happier if the first machine I got was perfect, but oh well perhaps it's my luck. In conclusion, there's nothing to be "paranoid" about, but I'd have to disagree with there being nothing to be concerned over. Apple is doing a fantastic job taking care of its customers, but the initial quality control could have been better.

15. JayKay321 macrumors member

Gonna have to disagree with you there. Perhaps there is nothing wrong with SOME, but SOME are also plagued with defects and quality issues.

I'm on my 5th MBP so there you go. YAY Apple.

16. isethx macrumors regular

17. cliffj macrumors newbie

As a newbie, can someone tell me how to determine which screen I have on my new MacBook pro 2.4?

Just curious.

18. hitman45400 macrumors regular

yeah, i hate not having a button..i was in the store using one the other day and it drove me crazy.

19. Ampidire macrumors 6502

Ampidire

Really? it hasn't changed my computing habits at all, it just means I have more room to scroll around. I used tap to click/right-click before so the button didn't actually see much use anyway...

The trackpad is actually designed to be easier to click toward the bottom so that it seems more like a button is there.

20. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Could someone please enlighten me on how to find out what panel is in the Macbooks? How do you know if you have a Chi-Mei or whatever?

21. fallen1981 thread starter macrumors newbie

If I am really honest not really. I would say the Chi Mai has slightly, very slighty, better vivid colors but the viewing angle on the LG is better. Its six of one half a dozen of the other.

There was another thread comparing the two with a Black level test and the LG was considerably more washed out however I think that one was a dude. To notice from what I have seen you would have to be looking. So perhaps LG is not always as consistant.

22. CaffeMacchiato macrumors member

I find this review fair and worthy.
    http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Apple-MacBook-Pro-15-v5-2008-Unibody-9600M-GT-9400M.11973.0.html

23. fallen1981 thread starter macrumors newbie

Then change it call them and tell them you compared to a friends and its not the same and you not happy with the product. In the UK we have 14 days to return anything just because we feel like it. I dont know if thats everywhere but just be polite and tell them you do a lot of photography the difference is extreme. If its as bad as you say its probably defective screen.

24. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I was uber paranoid when I bought my refurbished iPhone. Some of the people's posts were about getting cracked screens and stuff. But then I got mine and it was like new (and $150 cheaper). Bah!

I bought my MBP before I posted here much, so I didn't have to worry then. The millions of people who get pristine computers don't rush here to say "it's awesome!" But the 1 in 100,000 who gets a slight defect will come on here and complain about it for weeks.

25. Ampidire macrumors 6502

Ampidire

Open Display in System Preferences, then go to Open Profile, then select #13 from the list, you'll see a key there that is the panel data, I don't remember off the top of my head which is which, but if you search for that here, it'll pop up.