New CA law: no iPhonewhile driving? BLUETOOTH HELP!

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by pedroistheman, Jun 18, 2008.

1. pedroistheman macrumors 6502

pedroistheman

Sorry admin, but I just realized there was a forum specificly for iPhone accessories...didn't mean to double-post!

So as you all know, there is a new state law coming in effect in a couple weeks that forces all drivers to drive with a bluetooth device. I'm not sure if your states already have this, but California is going with this on July 1. Unfortunately for myself, the law also states that minors can't drive with ANY cellular device, even with bluetooth. Don't ask me how they are going to pull me over, I thought that was PROFILING!!

But anyway, I need a bluetooth headset that's somewhat small and reliable. And I don't want to get some cheap piece of crap that's so small its gonna fall out of my ear either.

I know there's an iPhone specific bluetooth but I believe any bluetooth can work with the iPhone. What are the advantages of owning a bluetooth specific to the iPhone? You can't play music through it, can you?

2. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

Why not get a radio with iPhone integration? Music playback and 5-speaker phone calls. No headset required.

3. pedroistheman thread starter macrumors 6502

pedroistheman

You mean one of those car kits? I'd rather not, I'm often driving with others in my car and I was looking for a more personal option.

thanks though

4. ismoker macrumors member

ismoker

5. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

+1 But honestly, what are the chances that you'll get pulled over and have a HW Patrol officer check to make sure you have one. It's a concept designed to keep people safe, but one that is very loosely enforced.

6. AustinSTI macrumors 6502

The first few weeks they'll enforce it to get the word out that they are enforcing. How are 'click it or ticket' laws enforced? Same thing here. Its easy to see someone on their cell phone while driving (easier than seeing someone with a seat belt on IMHO. I wish they'd pass the law here in Texas. There are too many morons snoring on the road not paying attention while on their cell phones. 9 times out of 10 when I'm forced to pass someone who is going 55 in the far left lane on the right side on a highway in Texas after flashing beams a few times they are on their cell phone (not BT, but the phone itself). BT would be much harder to spot...but people on cell's are easy.

7. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

Check out the Plantronics 925. There are several reviews of it here (search for 925) and they were all favorable, as were those on Amazon, so I bought one last week to replace my old Plantronics.

Small, with no flashing lights, it comes with a small charging case too. And it works perfectly with the iPhone. I highly recommend it.