New Cable Modem not working with my iMac via Ethernet

Discussion in 'iMac' started by rtranter, Sep 19, 2014.

1. rtranter macrumors newbie

I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right category, so feel free to move this if it's miscategorized.

We just received an Arris DG1670a Cable Modem upgrade from Time Warner. Everything seems to be working fine on all the computers in the house (PC) except for mine (iMac). Wireless and Ethernet both work on PC computers.

My airport card is fried and the Ethernet connection doesn't seem to be working at all. It was working about 5 minutes ago connected to a Netgear Router, so it seems to be a compatibility issue.. is the Arris just not compatible with Macs? Do I need software?

2. Fishrrman macrumors G4

I'm not a networking expert, and I don't know if this will help, but...

Might it be possible to put the the netgear router -between- the Mac and the Cable Modem?

You might have to put the router into "bridge mode" -- that is, turn off NAT. This should be accessible through the router's setup pages.

I'd suggest trying this.
    Even if it means an additional piece of equipment sitting around, at least you may get things working for now.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You don't need anything to use that Arris unit with your Mac. It should just work.

Thing is that Arris unit is a combo cable modem and router in one and sounds like you have a Netgear router in the mix also. Can you explain how you have this physically wired up?

4. ryguy92000 macrumors regular

ryguy92000

Not bad router or modem,

We have had this issue with several of the iMacs in our shop. first off I have yet to find a router that an iMac didn't like. I would start small by changing the network cable to one you KNOW works. This is honestly the most common issue.

Next option is to erase the ethernet port in your network settings. System Preferences -> Network-> in the window listing your connections highlight the ethernet port and click the "-" icon at the bottom left. Before you hit "+" in a reactive mode. Reboot your iMac and let it figure it self out. These two solutions repair 99% of all network issues. :D