New Call/Text Indicator

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Splitbolt, Jun 18, 2015.

1. Splitbolt macrumors regular

I have had this issue since I started using iPhones. Whenever I run outside, or take a shower, or use the loud exhaust fan in the kitchen, etc. I have to physically check my iPhone to see if I got a call or text.

It would be nice to have some type of audio alert every couple of minutes or even a flashing light to us know that there was a missed call or text.

For example, I just went to the bathroom and with the exhaust fan on I didn't hear a call. So when I came out I had to check my phone to see that I missed the call, if I didn't check I would have missed it completely and never gotten back to them.

It seems like a simple software thing to add a beep. There is already one about 2 minutes after receiving a text message, but it only alerts once.

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

You can change the alert for repeated notification for messages in notification settings (up to 10 repeats as I recall). There is no such think for missed calls though.

There are also LED flash alerts that can be enabled and used in accessibility settings, but those use the camera flash on the back of the phone, so could be a little jarring at times (and the phone couldn't be on its back otherwise you won't see them).

3. Splitbolt thread starter macrumors regular

You're right, you can now have up to 10 alerts for a missed text message. That would be 20 minutes which is better than the old way of only alerting once. I'd rather have the option of an alert every 5 minutes indefinitely.

It's odd that they don't give that same option for missed calls.

4. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

This borders on a topic that has been discussed here many times and that is a LED notification.

One camp believes that you are lazy if you can't just pick your phone up and turn the screen on to see if there are messages. The other camp thinks that for a high priced phone a basic notification LED isn't asking very much.

I fall in the second camp. I should be able to see if I have notifications on my phone (without having to turn the screen on) if I have left it on my desk at work and walked away for a moment.

But Apple is in the other camp. Hence we get the LED flash (through Accessibility settings) as a consolation prize.

5. Splitbolt thread starter macrumors regular

I don't believe it would be laziness of not wanting to pick up the phone and look. It's the fact that the one time you forget to look is the time that you missed an important call.

I could understand Apple not wanting an LED. But why not add an audio alert option? It's a simple software change.

6. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

You're asking the wrong person, LOL. I'd prefer a notification light, but Apple doesn't so in this instance I lose. :D

7. *~Kim~* macrumors 6502

I am in the it's lazy not to check camp, but as someone else said, it's a simple software change to allow an audio alert indefinitely until the missed call/text is checked. Wouldn't that save battery than say lighting up the screen now and again while out and about to check that you haven't missed anything? Battery life is relatively poor on iPhone and every little helps.

8. Splitbolt thread starter macrumors regular

That's a rather ignorant point of view. Do you always make such sweeping generalizations about people based on little to no actual evidence?

Laziness is not wanting to wash the dishes. I've never heard of someone being too lazy to look at their phone. Saying that is nothing more than internet bravado, a way to insult others with different opinions.

Wanting some way of knowing you misses a call has nothing to do with laziness.

9. Bazooka-joe macrumors 68000

Bazooka-joe

Just get yourself an Apple Watch. Works perfectly without having to carry my phone around

10. Splitbolt thread starter macrumors regular

I haven't worn a watch since I started carrying a cell phone :)

That's funny though... Apple won't use a new call audio alert in order to push Apple Watch sales lol.