New camcorder suggestions

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Luis Ortega, Jan 31, 2009.

1. Luis Ortega macrumors 6502a

I have a Sony TRV 900 camcorder that is about 10 years old now and still working fine, but it won't last forever and I am looking for a possible replacement.

The TRV 900 was a great camcorder with 3 ccds, manual exposure and audio levels, and both analogue and DV in/out, and I am looking for something with similar features.

The new crop of camcorders today seem much more limited in terms of full manual controls unless you are willing to spend several thousand pounds.

I think that the AVCHD and memory card recording format sounds like the best choice for the next generation of camcorders, based on what I read, so I am looking for something that uses that. I don't think that hard drive camcorders are robust enough and the mini dv tape ones appear to be using aging technology.

Can anyone please suggest some camcorders around the 1500 pound price point that might be comparable in manual control features to my great TRV 900 and use the memory card/AVCHD format?
    Obviously, image and sound quality are critical, too, but I definitely need good manual controls for exposure and audio levels.

Thanks a lot for any advice.

2. TheEpicFilmCo macrumors regular

Check out the Canon HF line. I just ordered a HF100 :)

3. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

I like the Sony HD1000.

It's a really good price, full sized and shoulder mount.

It needs a beachtek box though.

It's tape but I think HDV it easier to edit. (and who knew faster to import :confused:)

4. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

I'll second that. We have the HF-10 and are very happy with it.

5. Dr Strangelove macrumors regular

I am currently looking as well and just cannot make up my mind. The Canon HF line is one I am very much looking at currently.

6. Luis Ortega thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks a lot for the suggestions. I will look into the new Canon lineup.