New Camera buying help

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by nunes013, Dec 22, 2010.

1. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

My mom wants to buy my dad a new camera for the holidays. She just told me this morning so i didnt have time to research. Her limit is $300 and i dont know much about photography. I know this a mac forum so dont flame me but i need some help. Just recommend a quick few that we will be good. Thanks so much!!!!

2. El Cabong macrumors 6502a

Does he have a camera already? If so, what kind?

In general, stick to Canon, Sony, and Panasonic models, such as the SX210, HX5V, and ZS7, respectively.

For a bit more money (~$370-400), the Canon S95 and Panasonic LX5 are fantastic cameras with the best lenses to be found in compacts, but are less user-friendly for someone who wants to just point and shoot, and they don't have an overly ambitious zoom range.

3. nunes013 thread starter macrumors 65816

nunes013

he has an olympus stylus 840. i think i can get her to spend a little more.

4. MSM Hobbes macrumors 6502

Two main options, at that price point:

1. Point and click - such as Canon PowerShot S95 10 MP Digital Camera with 3.8x Wide Angle Optical Image Stabilized Zoom and 3.0-Inch inch LCD.

2. DSLR (digital single-lens reflex) style - such as Sony Alpha models [various price points].

Each style has their own pros / cons. For example, would he prefer a camera that fits easily in hand and pocket, don't have to change lenses, etc.? Or, would he prefer a camera that is more robust, able to have even higher IQ [image quality], ability to change lenses [with $$$ to buy]?

5. nunes013 thread starter macrumors 65816

nunes013

we bought the canon powershot sx 210. we thought this would best suit him and the pictures look really good. we are giving it to him on christmas and see if he likes it then if he doesnt see which he would like. thanks for everyones help. you guys are the best!!

6. rusty2192 macrumors 6502a

I have the SX210 and really like it. The manual controls are awesome and it's great having the huge zoom, which is excellent outside. It isn't the best to zoom all the way in indoors in low light, but show me any compact point and shoot that is. So like i said, I really like mine and he should really like his :D