New Camera for me..

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by wrinkster22, Oct 15, 2011.

1. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

Hey everyone,
    I am in the market for a new camera after my cannon powershot but the dust. My budget is under 200$ preferably. I am in Canada and am looking for a basic point and shoot. Ideally the lens is flush with the body, shoots good video, umm and other goodish stuff. Any camera suggestions would be welcome... I have looked at the new power shots, Nikon cool pic, and other cheap cameras :)
    also it needs to use sd's not the sony thing... and mac compatible
    THANKS a lot :)

2. stradale33 macrumors member

stradale33

3. wrinkster22 thread starter macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

Thanks for your advice. I love how it takes panorama, that is soemthing I forgot to add. But it uses a special sony memory card. My macbook air has an sd reader that I would like to put to use! Also it is optical zoom is that not as good as a physical zoom? sorry i am a noob :/

4. wrinkster22 thread starter macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

5. stradale33, Oct 16, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2011

stradale33 macrumors member

stradale33

It can take a standard SSD card. Just yesterday I transferred some photos for my mate onto a external hard drive via the SSD card slot on my MacBook Pro. So don't let Sony trying to push their own memory cards stop you from looking at Sony. Panasonic and Canon in your price range are find too. My Dad got a Fuji recently that also did the sweep panorama it takes good photos. Basically if you get something from the main manufacturers you are going to get a decent P&S.

Flip would be fine for video but suck for stills.

Cheers

6. wrinkster22 thread starter macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

Would that sony camera take decent video? I took a look in my flyers and the camera selection is just boggling! Perhaps I will pick up that sony one. So does it have space for an sd card too? Is there a max size for the card? My brother got a 16gb card and it would to large for the camera to use. I would like to use a large size card.

7. stradale33 macrumors member

stradale33

Hey,

the one I linked in Amazon is 720 HD video I think, so the quality is good. I guess it all depends on expectations. If you want to get into making little movie clips for youtube and what not might be best to go for a dedicated video camera. but if it's just to have a camera handy for some pics and videos of mates here and there I can say I'd be happy enough with it.

As far as cards go people reckon a class 6 or up card is good for video - faster write speed. Although I have a 8GB class 4 in my D90 and that speeds fine on the video (also 720). Max. size? Don't know sorry.

8. wrinkster22 thread starter macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

yeah thanks. I do not really need *that* good of a camera. My uses are:
    1) snapping pics of friends/family. not portrait but on vacations (i.e., playing beach volleyball)
    2) uploading to Facebook. remove sd card, pop into macbook air, import using iPhoto
    3) Needs: portable/durable/light: i want something that is easy to take with me and grab on the go.

9. seattle macrumors 6502

10. wrinkster22 thread starter macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

How much would they give me for a 3 year old cannon powershot?

11. seattle macrumors 6502

I think what they normally will do is give you 20% off refurbished prices. I sent back a old broken Canon G9 and got a great discount on a Rebel T2I. If you call the 1 800 number they will let you know what options you have.

Canon refurbished store link:
    http://shop.usa.canon.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/subCategory_10051_10051_-1_34263

12. neil1980 macrumors 6502

Optical zoom is better than digital zoom

13. wrinkster22 thread starter macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

1) Would there already be a discount on the refurbs + the 20% off?
    2) Would i be better off getting a new one or a refurbished

thanks for the clarification :)

14. seattle macrumors 6502

Yes, you would get 20% the already discounted refurbished prices. New vs refurbished is a tough choice. I have purchased many refurbished items and have had great luck with them. Some people would never buy refurb though.

15. rusty2192 macrumors 6502a

I think refurbished is a great option. I bought my T2i from Canon Refurbished store and other than the gold "refurbished" sticker on the bottom you never would have known it wasn't fresh from the factory.

The only thing is, I believe Canon only gives a 90 day warranty with their refurbs instead of the 1 year that comes with a new camera. But, it could be argued that a refurb will have less of a chance of needing a warranty repair due to being closely checked out individually as opposed to just rolling off the assembly line and thrown in a box.

16. wrinkster22 thread starter macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

Thanks for your help. I will probably get a refurbished. I never took my camera in for service. Would you recommend a warranty like square trade? I bought my first and only extended warranty this year so I am a little bit of a nube