New Cameras for 2012 - roundup

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by JS2, Dec 29, 2011.

1. JS2, Dec 29, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2011

JS2 macrumors newbie

2. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

I don't care how much the D4 costs. I'm getting one for sure.

3. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Not surprised by some omissions....

Think that what I saw as a success at the shop that I work for with the Nikon 1 system; don't be surprised by new cameras and lenses for the CX system. And with all of the troubles of Olympus this past year, don't count them out as well. Panasonic can't be far behind even after the GX1 of this year...

Most interesting will be Canon with the growing popularity of Compact System Cameras (CSC's).

4. Hisdem macrumors 6502a

Hisdem

Nikon's D400 should be around too. I wonder how it will turn out to be, though. The D4 looks amazing. Too bad I can't afford one!

5. JS2 thread starter macrumors newbie

I was hoping for an 18MP Nikon D800, but if what he says about a 36MP D800 is correct, I'd rather have the Nikon D4 too. The Canon 5D Mark III sounds really exciting too. It's lucky I have lenses for both!

6. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

It'll be an interesting year.

I have a 5DII which I would certainly like to upgrade to a III (not that there's anything wrong with the II, but the 'new shiny' always beckons!)

I'd also like a mirrorless smaller camera. It would be wonderful if Canon came through with one, but nothing seems to be happening on that front. Leica is great, but as an ex Hasselblad owner I'm through paying a premium for a brand name. The Fuji could be interesting.

7. avro707 macrumors 6502a

36mp would be great - especially if it comes with the same low noise at the D3S has. :)

I don't think I'll be upgrading just yet.

8. Hisdem macrumors 6502a

Hisdem

That's the thing... People are skeptical that it won't. For a studio setup though, it must be wonderful.

9. firestarter, Dec 31, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2011

firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

It'll be interesting to see if a 36mp camera can be made with the same per-pixel noise as a previous generation 24mp camera (this would imply a 50% increase in sensitivity of each pixel, I'd imagine).

36mp is however exactly double the 18mp Canon deploys across it's APS-C camera range, and full frame is exactly double the area of APS-C. It's reasonable to expect at least the same per pixel noise and sharpness at 36mp that Canon 7D owners currently enjoy.

Certainly with studio lighting 36mp is going to be a useful step up from 21mp (that I get from my 5DII). Even if a full-res picture isn't the desired end result from one of these cameras, I've found that the extra detail available for editing leads to much more realistic results.

10. JMS803 macrumors member

I'm looking forward to Fuji's X100 sucessor with interchangeable lenses, should be quite interesting.