New Canon 1GX introduction like Apple's Introductions? lol..

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by stylinexpat, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

3. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

I almost bought the Canon G12 last year, but it was already out for about a year so I decided to wait for the G13 (G1 X) I am surprised they upped the price from $500 to $800, but I think this upgrade is awesome.

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

This isn't really a replacement for the G12. More a larger, more expensive camera that is positioned above it.

5. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

I wonder if they will release a G13 as well, if so I think I will probably still get this one. I want a camera that's full featured like a SLR, but I don't want the lenses and I want it to be a little more portable.

6. rebby macrumors 6502

I like it and will keep an eye on prices. I can easily see myself picking up one of these in the used market.

7. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

I think it's going to be a while before you see these in the used market. The G12 was even hard to get at a discount for nearly a year after it was released. Just recently they started discounting them, and they weren't much cheaper used on Amazon.

8. rebby macrumors 6502

Yeah, I know what you mean. I see cameras like this pop up on photography forums quite a bit though. Often times you need to be quick but... I have no problem waiting either. I'm going to add another SLR to my arsenal before looking to add/replace a P&S anyway (5d MkIII? I'm crossing my fingers for sometime this summer... If not, a 5d MkII will do just fine).

9. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

"Full range of manual modes..." :rolleyes: Manual is just that. You set everything, um, manually. Am I missing something here or am I just showing my age?

Dale

10. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

That is pretty funny. What will the marketers think of next?! :rolleyes:

11. Doylem macrumors 68040

Doylem

Cheap point 'n' shoot cameras used to be advertised, with misplaced pride, as being 'focus-free' (ie fixed lens that can't be focused). It sounded really great... right up to the moment that you actually thought about it... ;)

12. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

13. TheReef macrumors 68000

TheReef

A full range of manual modes? That's incredible!

I'm sold!!!

14. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

Overall I like it. But I would have to see/read more about it before I think the price is worth it. I know I'm not jumping up and down for the lens and it's f/5.8 at the long (or is it short at 112mm) end. It's fine for daylight but don't ask me to try to take a picture after the sun has set.

I'm a bit annoyed for some reason at some of the reviews/previews (such as dpreview) when they start comparing the 1GX lens to that of a basic dslr kit lens.

15. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I suppose if they were ultra wide, not that fast, lenses that might not be a problem. I'm thinking of buying a 15mm lens for my Leica M3. Most of the time it can be set as 'focus-free' as the depth of field will be immense!

16. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

Will this have a better viewfinder than the very poor one on the G12? That would be a big deal breaker I think.

17. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Gorgeous camera, large sensor for a P&S but a large price tag to match.

All in all, I have my V1 has more features then the 1GX for about the same price. Other mirror less cameras as well have advantages over this camera.

While I like what it has to offer, I think the price point will make it a hard sell since ML cameras have more options.