New Canon 7D firmware

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by mulo, Jun 8, 2012.

1. mulo, Jun 8, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2012

mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

just a little "I said so" post

New canon 7D firmware, with a lot of improvements. most interesting to me extended burst to 26 raw images, and auto ISO limiter.

Canon 7D firmware 2

2. Sideonecincy macrumors 6502

3. Rowbear macrumors 6502a

Rowbear

Cool, although the maximum burst "upgrade by firmware" means that the camera was already capable of doing 24 frames ... it was just crippled from day one :mad:

4. mulo thread starter macrumors 68020

mulo

yea, from a consumer standpoint its incredibly annoying (thats why we have the whole magic lantern and voiding warranty race) but from a marketing standpoint it makes a lot of sense, since people would be forced to buy a higher model.

its the exact same model apple follows by not allowing older machines to run lion/mountain lion or getting siri on their iPhone 4/3Gs

5. WRP macrumors 6502a

Are you insane? Technology changes. Sorry they had no idea how to write the software to make it work that fast. Guess what... almost ALL software isn't utilizing the hardware available. Hardware is by far ahead of software in every aspect it is outstanding. The 5dII was "capable" of 24fps when released but the software wasn't ready yet. Was the biggest leap in DSLR's "crippled" because the software wasn't up to snuff yet? Find something else to be outraged about.

6. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Yay! Optimised and improved software bringing new capabilities to a camera I've owned for a year and a half or so. That's good news :)