New car with AUX plug

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Skilz34, Feb 8, 2007.

  1. Skilz34 macrumors member

    Oct 8, 2003
    Question. I have recently purchased a new car with an auxilary input. I'm assuming all I need is a 1/8" to 1/8" cable ? Do I need a mono cable or stereo cable? Are there better options? Thanks!
  2. happy.buddha macrumors member


    Jul 18, 2005
    New Hampshire
    You just need a standard 1/8" M to M stereo cables, Belkin makes a nice one for under $10.
  3. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601


    Feb 10, 2004
    You'll need a stereo patch cable, and that should be it. I can't say with 100% certainty as I don't know what sort of car or head unit this is (and even if I did I probably wouldn't know off hand) but 99.99% of the time all you need is a regular stereo 1/8" patch cable.

    One thing you may notice is that the audio out of an iPod into a head unit is much quieter than other sources like the CD player or radio. Just turn up your cars volume and remember to turn it down if you switch it over to another source, rather than turn up your iPod - you'll save a little battery life that way. :)
  4. Mavimao macrumors 6502a


    Feb 16, 2005
    Lyon, France
    Also, if you turn up your volume all the way on your ipod, you might get some distortion through the car speakers no matter how low your car stereo's volume is set.

    Good rule of thumb is to raise it 3/4ths volume on the appliance and adjust the rest of the volume from your car stereo.
  5. Skilz34 thread starter macrumors member

    Oct 8, 2003

Share This Page