New CarPlay User - Couple Quesitons

Discussion in 'HomeKit, HomePod, CarPlay, Home & Auto Technology' started by thomamon, Dec 12, 2016.

1. thomamon macrumors 65816

thomamon

So my new car came with Apple CarPlay. I like it so far, makes things a lot easier to use when driving.

Also, if they come out with CarPlay updates, how do you update your radio for them?

Will other Apps be added to CarPlay in the future? Is there a list anywhere of what will be coming to CarPlay?

Also, The one thing I notice is that when I use CarPlay it doesn't connect via Bluetooth, so when I shut the car it doesn't log the last parking spot. Is there a way to have that happen?

2. CTHarrryH macrumors 68000

I would think update for radio would have to come from car manufacturer - not sure what those would be.

You can search for carplay apps there are bunches of them out

I don't have the issue with last parking spot. I normally start the car - it connects via bluetooth and then I plug in the phone - so that maybe why last parking spot works. What doesn't seem to "work" for people is when you park at home and you are home. Then nothing shows up. If I park at home and am out somewhere else it shows up. Also shows up when not parked at home.

3. JTravers macrumors 6502a

4. thomamon thread starter macrumors 65816

thomamon

Thanks, that is awesome.

5. PeteLP, Dec 27, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2016

PeteLP macrumors 6502

That's not entirely true. You do get the majority of updates provided by IOS, but there IS software in the car, created by the manufacturer, that requires updating to take advantage of some of the new IOS features.

For example, IOS 10 offers the ability to provide more content on very wide car screens. Cars that have wide screens and have updated their internal software may use this new API and display the additional content. Cars with larger screens and with internal software that hasn't been updated by the manufacturer will display the same content they displayed in IOS 9. And as with IOS 9, that content is simply stretched to fill the large screen.

The same is true for new IOS APIs to provide additional maps and music info on secondary dashboard displays. You'll get those features only when the manufacturers provide updates to take advantage of them.

6. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Vw (blasphemy) Check for car and audio updates on a regular service if there are updates available they will be applied. But CarPlay is an extension of the phones display so if it works then it works.

7. CTHarrryH macrumors 68000