New CarPlay Vehicles From Audi, Honda, GM, and More Debut at Detroit Auto Show

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Ahead of the annual North American International Auto Show in Detroit, which opens to the public on Saturday, a number of automakers have debuted new CarPlay-supported vehicles, including models with first-time compatibility from Audi, Honda, and General Motors brands Chevrolet and GMC.

Audi SQ5

Audi today announced the 2018 SQ5 crossover supports both CarPlay and Android Auto, a first for the SQ5, while the Audi A5 and S5 Cabriolet with CarPlay support are also making their North American debuts at the show. The latter two models were first announced alongside the Los Angeles Auto Show in November.

Volkswagen confirmed to us that all 2018 Atlas models will feature CarPlay and Android Auto for the first time through VW App-Connect. The all-new 2018 Tiguan debuting at the show will likewise be compatible with CarPlay and Android Auto via VW App-Connect, in line with 2016 and 2017 models of the vehicle.

Other first-time CarPlay vehicles debuting in Detroit this week include the 2018 Chevrolet Traverse, 2018 Honda Odyssey, and 2018 GMC Terrain Denali. The new 2018 Ford F-150 and 2018 Volvo V90 both support CarPlay as well, but previous model years of these vehicles were compatible as well.

The new 5 Series by BMW, the only automaker to offer wireless CarPlay in new vehicles, will be on display. Last week, Alpine announced the first aftermarket CarPlay receiver, model number iLX-107, that will be available in February for a suggested price of $900. It features a 7-inch capacitive touchscreen.

While the 2017 Maxima supports CarPlay, Nissan confirmed to us that the 2017 Rogue Sport is not compatible with Apple's software at this time. The 2018 Camry and 2018 Lexus LS debuting at the show are also incompatible, as Toyota and its luxury brand Lexus have chosen competing platforms over CarPlay.

CarPlay is available in over 200 vehicle models worldwide, providing hands-free or eyes-free access to common iPhone apps such as Maps, Messages, Music, Phone, and Podcasts, and select third-party apps such as Spotify. Apple maintains a CarPlay vehicles list on its website, although it is not always instantly up to date.

Article Link: New CarPlay Vehicles From Audi, Honda, GM, and More Debut at Detroit Auto Show

BreadofWonder

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2016
Once again, I am currently driving in a 2017 BMW M240i with wireless Carplay. Further, CarPlay currently sucks. That is all.
I don't know what you're comparing it to, but the CarPlay in my 2017 Escape is (while not perfect) better than any interface I've ever used in a car. There's lots of room for improvement, sure, but I'll take it over any proprietary system any day of the week.

Starflyer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2003
I had the pleasure of using CarPlay in a vehicle I rented a few months ago and I loved it. So much so that my next vehicle purchase will have to include it. (looking at you Nissan/Infiniti)

MTW

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2015
I'm really tired of hearing this claim about the 2017 5 series being the first and only cars with wireless CarPlay (most of the time it's 9to5 making that claim, which is understandable as they do not do fact checking or even put a modicum of effort into their writing) so I'm going to make this really easy for everyone.

Every BMW that has CarPlay has Wireless CarPlay. In fact, BMW doesn't even support wired CarPlay. It's always wireless.

The 5 series wasn't even the first BMW to ship with CarPlay, the 2 series had it for months before that silly 9to5 article about the 5 series started this whole misconception in the tech press.

It's not like the other BMWs that have it are cars no one cares about, that don't sell a lot of units etc - it's the entire 3 series! Among many other models.

Reactions: ScholarsInk

bytethese

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2007
Sad to say, but my next car lease/purchase will be based on availability of Carplay. I have an Acura now so it puzzles me that Honda cars have it, yet Acura does not. I'm now seriously looking at the Ford Explorer, possibly Honda Pilot if it will suit my needs. :)

wozmatic

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2014
Is carplay any good? Anyone here using it?

I'd like to see more options for self-installing a retrofit for any vehicle. (If that's not already possible?)

tuc

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2003
The 5 series wasn't even the first BMW to ship with CarPlay, the 2 series had it for months before that silly 9to5 article about the 5 series started this whole misconception in the tech press.

It's not like the other BMWs that have it are cars no one cares about, that don't sell a lot of units etc - it's the entire 3 series! Among many other models.
They aren't saying that these are the first BMWs with CarPlay. They are saying that these particular models are supporting CarPlay for the first time. (original post: "a number of automakers have debuted new CarPlay-supported vehicles, including models with first-time compatibility from Audi, Honda, and General Motors brands Chevrolet and GMC." And BMW isn't even on that list.) I don't know if that's true or not, cue the fact checkers, but that's what they are saying.

Otherwise they would also be incorrect with respect to Chevrolet, because 2017 Bolt EV has CarPlay (wired, not wireless).

Baumer582

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2008
I have a 2015 Nissan Rogue and absolutely love it... It's the perfect marriage of fuel economy/luxury/and overall quality for my current budget.

That said, if the 2018 model (when my lease is up) doesn't have Apple CarPlay, I'm switching to the Honda CR-V...

I'm not paying for the premium package that I don't really need, especially when Honda's 2nd level model of most cars support CarPlay.

Nissan is seriously dropping the ball with only two cars supporting it (Maxima and Murano)

MTW

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2015
They aren't saying that these are the first BMWs with CarPlay. They are saying that these particular models are supporting CarPlay for the first time. (original post: "a number of automakers have debuted new CarPlay-supported vehicles, including models with first-time compatibility from Audi, Honda, and General Motors brands Chevrolet and GMC." And BMW isn't even on that list.) I don't know if that's true or not, cue the fact checkers, but that's what they are saying.

Otherwise they would also be incorrect with respect to Chevrolet, because 2017 Bolt EV has CarPlay (wired, not wireless).
The post appears to have been edited since it was published. I might be wrong - I may have misread it - but the post appears to have changed since I read it.

The post isn't exactly great in its present form, though. 'A few other BMWs have it' is misleading at best; the 'few others' include the entire 3 series (you know, the best selling series by far), the 2 series, the 4 series, the 6 series, the 7 series, the x3/x4/x5/x6. Very few models are missing, outside of the i3 and i8 I can't think of any that lack CarPlay.

Last edited:

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I'm really tired of hearing this claim about the 2017 5 series being the first and only cars with wireless CarPlay
To be fair, BMW has themselves to blame bit. Their own press release that most of these article are based on, does make it sound like the 5-series is the first to do wireless CarPlay. You can see how this would lead to confusion if you are not nerd like us who follows BMW forums.

And smartphone integration has been further improved – from Apple CarPlay (which, in a first for a carmaker, has been incorporated fully wirelessly), to inductive phone charging and the WiFi hotspot for up to ten devices.

Russell L

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2006
San Francisco
Still hoping against hope that Mazda will adopt CarPlay, particularly for the CX-5. (And then employ a firmware update so that current owners, like myself, can enjoy the benefits.)

Reactions: BeefCake 15

MTW

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2015
To be fair, BMW has themselves to blame bit. Their own press release that most of these article are based on, does make it sound like the 5-series is the first to do wireless CarPlay. You can see how this would lead to confusion if you are not nerd like us who follows BMW forums.
I understand that, but it's not like the first time the whole 'the 5 series isn't the only model with Wireless CarPlay! not even the fist one!' thing has come up. At a certain point the press needs to stop saying the same wrong thing.