new cases and new bands in the fall?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Appl3FTW, Mar 29, 2015.

1. Appl3FTW macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

if they release an aluminum gold 42 version for 399 in the fall, ill be tight! :mad:

you think they'll release the space black without the exclusive link configuration? i.e. space black starting at 599... i'll be tight too! :mad:

2. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Three new bands are rumored in the fall, but no such rumors on new cases (highly unlikely).

3. Appl3FTW thread starter macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

i heard both... if they do, i hope what i get stand the change. that's why im reconsidering getting the SS.

oh btw: i want a milanese with classic buckle.. i mean the loop is nice but not really feeling the "loop" as much if it was a regular buckle. i guess im a sucker for tradition.

4. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

5. zacheryjensen macrumors 6502a

zacheryjensen

It's also rumored that Apple is working on a minivan (lol) so I would take such distant rumors with a heavy dose of skepticism.

I do think Apple will produce new case materials next year, though. I'm thinking, a couple bands every 6 months for a while, and a new case material each year, but almost no other changes. Same shape, same features, just maybe some longer battery life. A remote chance of added sensors, but, even that I doubt unless they can work magic to get GPS in there and not drop average battery life at all. Other sensors would be reaching for the remote fringes of society.

It's all about fashion/luxury with this product. Apple has been heavily design oriented for a long time and a continual shift from tech w/ design has been moving towards design w/ tech and this product is the opposite end of that spectrum (beginning being gumdrop iMacs.)

I don't think they will only work on this end of that spectrum, but, I think the place this watch has makes a very different product from which we can expect a very different lifecycle year to year.

SO yeah, platinum watch? Sure. Spring 2016 or Fall 2016. Fall 2015 is too soon for that, but, not for bands. I'd be shocked not to see at least 3 new bands even if it's just colors.

6. KauaiBruce macrumors 6502a

KauaiBruce

I seriously doubt there will be new cases but Apple would be crazy not to seriously push the Watch for Xmas and potentially do some special edition bands at that time (like much better red and green bands).

7. Appl3FTW thread starter macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

special edition product red sport band....

8. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

9. dylman macrumors regular

dylman

Pure speculation on my part

I'm not sure about new case materials this year (maybe next year, with a redesign in 2017?). I'd bet money on new straps in time for Christmas though.

10. KPOM macrumors G5

New straps are virtually certain. There are too many obvious possibilities that Apple left out at the launch date, such as a red modern buckle for the stainless steel / product red for Sport, and a leather option for the space black stainless steel.

I wouldn't expect, but would also not be surprised by a minor refresh. If they can get an "S2" out that improves the battery life or has more accurate health sensors, they could do that. I do not expect a major case redesign until the third generation at the earliest.

11. FrankySavvy macrumors 65816

Gold Aluminum and Rose Gold Aluminum cases so you can match your iPhone and watch ;)

12. Appl3FTW thread starter macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

I would be blown if they do release these...

13. FrankySavvy macrumors 65816

Makes sense. There is rumor of a rose gold iPhone. I doubt they will make a gold plated iPhone, so it most likely will be aluminum. If they are making these, could open up the possibility of gold versions of the aluminum watch casing.

14. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

I think these will be released at some point.

15. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I was a sucker for tradition until I remembered I'm going to run with the watch so leather is out (sealed with shoe leather spray or not).

16. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

New bands will certainly be released every year. Maybe even every 6 months to enforce the fashion aspect of the watch. But I'm betting the Watch case housing is on a 2 year cycle like iPhones. It is a lot cheaper for Apple to bring in new revenue with multiple strap purchases than it is to redesign the case every year.