New cell phone needed (not iPhone!)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Pluckie, May 14, 2007.

1. Pluckie macrumors member

Hi all,

I'm looking for recommendations for a new cell phone. Although I love the iPhone, it's well out of my price range. I'm looking for something in the $200-$300 range. What is most important to me is a phone that is good at making calls and has a nice, intuitive interface. I'd rather it be smaller than loaded with gadgets. The slimmer the better. I'd like it to sync with my mac. (UPDATE: I'm using Cingular service).

I was thinking about the new SE k550i (I really like the SE interface). I was also thinking about a smart phone (it'd be nice to have a good calendar / smart phone), perhaps the Blackberry Pearl. Problem is that I don't need (or want to pay for) the push email service. Would a pearl be worth it if I'm not using push email?

I need suggestions for a good phone! Thanks.

2. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

Any Nokia is fine. They now use the Symbian operating system, which is incredibly intuitive, and Nokias are known for their reception and clarity.

It would help if you told us what carrier you will be using it on.

3. Pluckie thread starter macrumors member

4. Mammoth macrumors 6502a

Mammoth

5. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

Well, if you want a smartphone, but don't NEED all the features, a Treo or the Pearl will suit you well. A Nokia E61 might also be good. If you're not looking for a smartphone, then pick up a Nokia N75, 6126 (a free yet amazingly good phone), or perhaps a KRZR K1 or RAZR V3xx.

And, I might wait to see what the price of the iPhone is. There's some evidence that the 4GB version might be $299.

6. janey macrumors 603

janey

7. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I wouldn't waste my money on a smartphone (BlackBerry, Windows Mobile, Treo, etc) without a dataplan. The whole point of a smartphone IMO is to have access to e-mail and the internet anywhere, and not using it for that is a waste. If all you want is a calendar, all normal phones offer something like that.

That said, if you're not looking for a smart phone, Sony Ericsson makes some of the best "regular" phones out there. I had a w810i and loved it.

8. Dynamyk macrumors 6502a

Dynamyk

I have a Sony M600i and I love it. It's geared towards business users and it's not very small but it has everything I need.

Definitely go with Sony Ericsson.

9. mfacey macrumors 65816

mfacey

You forgot to mention that the M600 doesn't sync with a mac ;)

Make sure you find a phone that is 100% compatible with your mac! I really like my Nokia E61, but as mentioned earlier, without a data plan its not worth it.

I'm not really sure what is and isn't available in the USA. You guys are about 6 months behind us as far as cell phones go.;)

10. stonyc macrumors 65816

stonyc

I wouldn't call it a waste. My wife is in the market for a PDA phone for her work: she needs access to mobilePDR or ePocrates, looking up medical billing codes and possibly syncing electronic medical records and clinic schedules. She also needs a phone. A PDA phone, even without a data plan, is perfect for her needs. OP, there are plenty of features and uses for smartphones that don't require e-mail access... good luck with your search.

Just as an FYI, she also is looking at the Treos from Cingular because some of the software she might need is more readily available for Palm OS. My mom also recently got a Treo 650 (I think) without a data plan for similar needs and she LOVES it.

11. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

I vote KRZR K1. It's quite slim, sleek, beautiful, and is easy to use. You may want to go in store to test one out because i've heard people complain about the size of the keys, but i love it and you adjust to the smaller d-pad in a jiff.

By the way it's regularly priced $249, they have a $50 rebate thing going on and when i bought it there was an extra $100 rebate so i got mine for $99 (though i do not know if they are still doing that sale).

12. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

I would reccomend anything from Motorola or Sony Erricson. All very nice phones with sleek designs. Made well, made right.