New Cell Phone Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ppc_michael, Jul 10, 2008.

1. ppc_michael Guest

ppc_michael

I'm putting this in "Mac Peripherals" because my number one concern is that it will work with a Mac. But if this is not the correct place, please move it. :)

My AT&T contract is up for renewal so I would like my new free phone to go with it. :)

Currently I have RAZR V3, and that's been okay but reception hasn't been great, and sound quality suffers I think.

What I DO like about the RAZR is that it works with iSync, which is a big deal for me to keep Address Book / iCal (less important) all in sync. I also like that it has IMAP support so I can check my e-mail occasionally. Other things like camera and text messaging are less important to me (I actually use my phone to call people!) but I would like them to be reliable when I need them.

I was looking at the Samsung Sync. Do you think that's good? Any other recommendations?

(Please no iPhone, I have an iPod Touch and the service plan is too expensive for me).

2. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

I've been looking at the Sony-Ericsson Z750. It's supposed to have a good email client, and the other sony phones I've had have synced nicely with iSync etc.

3. zackkmac macrumors 6502a

The SYNC is an awesome phone, I had one. The camera is outstanding, anyone who's seen pictures I took with mine wouldn't believe me when I said it was taken with a phone.

And Sony Ericsson is a great line too. I had a W300i and it was great for a free phone. Except for the fact I didn't put my microSD in there right and I can't get it out :(

BTW, I used my upgrade with AT&T and got a free BlackJack, I think they're $50 now though. But you can get a BlackJack II for that much at Wal-Mart.

4. ppc_michael thread starter Guest

ppc_michael

Thanks for the replies so far!

Oh! I've seen that on commercials. Does the mirror-y side collect fingerprints, do you know?

That sounds really good. Do you know if it worked with iSync / general Bluetooth-ing with Mac OS?

5. zackkmac macrumors 6502a

Sadly, I never used it with a Mac. You could possibly do a search somewhere and see if it's compatible with iSync, and see what Bluetooth services it offers. I only had mine for a week so I never even used the Bluetooth.

6. liquidh2o macrumors 6502

have you considered a blackberry? I picked up one for work and it didn't take me long to understand why they're called crackberries :)

7. dibara2003 macrumors 6502

i second the blackberries. i've had 2 of them and they work wonders. they even work with macs :p

8. crabbydaddy2 macrumors member

Try that new LG shine. My son bought one and he loves it. I'm not sure though if it picks the Mac client but its nice. Good deal too.

9. macworkerbee macrumors 6502

I have to say that I'm impressed with this thread. The OP asked us not to recommend the iphone and no one has yet. Usually someone would come in a go WOOOO GET THE IPHONE 3G!;)

10. SmartIndianKid macrumors regular

SmartIndianKid

Right now I'm using the Blackberry Pearl 8110, which has thus far synced my contacts and calendars just fine with my mac using PocketMac (free).

The nice thing about the pearl is that it's a fine shape for making calls, but can still do some serious texting/emailing.

11. ppc_michael thread starter Guest

ppc_michael

A Blackberry would be cool certainly, but if I wanted a smart phone and the expensive data plan I'd just go with the iPhone. The problem is I'm a poor college student, with a hefty tuition bill coming up, no less! ;) I'm looking at more "traditional" mobile phones.

What about the Samsung SLM?

In my research Samsung seems to get the best ratings overall (that's why I keep asking about them), but they also seem to not be compatible with iSync. :/

I think I may indeed end up going with the Ericsson Z750 unless there are other suggestions?