Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

New leaked assets from the watchOS 6 beta suggest Apple plans to launch new ceramic and titanium Apple Watch models as early as next month.

Apple-Watch-2019-Titanium-Ceramic.jpg

Discovered by iHelpBR, the assets belong to the initial Apple Watch setup screen animation, which resembles the rear design of the watch including the model type and the words "Designed by Apple in California."

The firmware assets clearly reference a 44mm titanium case and a 44mm ceramic case. iHelpBR has also found analogous assets for the 40mm size Apple Watch model.

Back in February, respected Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo predicted Apple would introduce a "new ceramic casing design" to its Apple Watch line-up, and these assets do appear to back up that claim.

Apple introduced "Edition" models with the Apple Watch Series 2 that were made from ceramic. Prices started at $1,299, which it continued offering when the Series 3 Apple Watches came out, but Apple discontinued the Edition models when the Series 4 launched last year.

Current Apple Watch models do have a ceramic back, but the assets indicate Apple will revisit a new high end ceramic model in 2019. And it looks like we can also expect an entirely new titanium model - a material perhaps currently in favor at Apple following work on its just-released titanium Apple Card.

Apple-Watch-series-2-ceramic.jpg
Apple Watch Series 2 ceramic model in white

It's not clear if the titanium casing will replace stainless steel or become an additional option. Another unanswered question is whether these materials will be exclusive to a new Apple Watch Series 5, or also be offered as extra case material options for existing models.

According to the latest prediction from Kuo, Japan Display will supply the OLED displays for new Apple Watch Series 5 models slated to launch in the second half of 2019. Beyond that, we know very little about what to expect about the Series 5.

Apple is expected to unveil its new iPhone lineup on September 10, so it's likely these Apple Watch models will be unveiled during the same event.

Article Link: New Ceramic and Titanium Apple Watch Models Uncovered in watchOS 6 Beta

Apple Knowledge Navigator

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2010
If Apple offered a service whereby the logic board could be replaced in the future (to retain speed if nothing else) I'm sure more people would part money for the stainless steel/ceramic models.

Heck, if they offered it from day one, then even the gold 'Edition' model would at least have some value...

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
I never understood why someone would purchase a high end smart watch. High end watches like Rolex and omega are timeless, smart watches are not. Dropping $1300+ on a watch that will be obsolete in 2-3 years doesn’t seem like a great investment.
high end rolex or etc, lives more than you...so whats the point? Apple watch makes you live longer

Bawstun

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
Apple Watch makes you live longer? Elaborate please.

Haha! I’m assuming they mean with the heart-monitoring features and health applications to the devices.

But yeah, the point is that a Rolex in 50 years is still a timeless collectible, functioning Rolex. It will always have use and be worth something. In even 5 years that Apple Watch isn’t going to work as intended. It’s a throwaway. People spending the absurd amounts of cash on them are just wealthy culturally adapted brainwashed IMO. It’s a thing. Needing, craving status as some form of personal gratification and measurement of success. Those are the people spending $1300 on the throwaway Apple watches.

rlhamil

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2010
Plain titanium, although very strong for its light weight (but not quite as strong for a given bulk as steel), is not particularly scratch-resistant; and naturally, it's not particularly shiny, but slightly gray (like aluminum, the surface oxidizes but the oxide protects rather than rusting deeper like with steel). Like aluminum, it can be anodized (a wide range of colors depending on the voltage used), but the anodized surface is subject to being worn off, which wouldn't look so good anymore.

There's a titanium-gold alloy, β-Ti3Au (3 parts titanium to 1 part gold) that's said to be 4 times harder than pure titanium. I wonder if that can be done as a (fairly thick) surface treatment rather than to the entire mass, and what that would look like, what color, how shiny and wear-resistant, etc. That alloy is considered promising for such things as hip implants, because it's very bio-compatible and very durable. So hopefully the techniques to form it suitably are already well-developed.

BlueCreek

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2014
I think the Apple watch is something that would benefit from being modular, let us spend whatever high amounts on the casings and bands, and then swap out the tech whenever there are upgrades.

I haven’t yet bought one of these due to that, I’m not keen on the cheaper sport models and would want to invest in the high end casings, but these become obsolete in 3 years!

I’m already spending $1,000+ every 2 years for a phone, I’m not doing the same with a watch...

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I never understood why someone would purchase a high end smart watch. High end watches like Rolex and omega are timeless, smart watches are not. Dropping $1300+ on a watch that will be obsolete in 2-3 years doesn’t seem like a great investment.

That’s where you’re incorrect. Smart watches are _not_ an investment, it’s merely an aesthetic decision based on what someone prefers. Depending how long someone keeps the watch and being they want a specific casing material (i.e stainless, ceramic, ect), it pays for itself as long someone regularly uses it. I’d happily pay that, being I’m not interested in the aluminum Model. Some of us want the ‘higher end’ models. Choice is a good thing.

As long as someone can accept it depreciates, but enjoys the functionality and aesthetics, that’s really all that matters.

alpi123

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2014
I think the Apple watch is something that would benefit from being modular, let us spend whatever high amounts on the casings and bands, and then swap out the tech whenever there are upgrades.

I haven’t yet bought one of these due to that, I’m not keen on the cheaper sport models and would want to invest in the high end casings, but these become obsolete in 3 years!

I’m already spending $1,000+ every 2 years for a phone, I’m not doing the same with a watch...
What exactly components do you expect to swap on such small device? I also don't think it's a good idea. These components are updated every year to work together and they change their shape/size accordingly.

ApplesandOranges

Suspended
Jul 27, 2019
Still have my Rolex GMT master from when I was a recon aviator in the Navy circa 1964. Fifty years later it is worth way more than I would ever have thought. Offers anyone :)

I’ll trade you for an Apple Watch 4!
[doublepost=1566051512][/doublepost]To me using expensive high end materials on a smart watch is like putting Corinthian leather seats in an old Buick or a compact car. May look nice, be comfortable, but as an investment makes no sense. Lipstick on a pig kind of thing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.