New Cinema Display 27"

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Lykos1986, Feb 13, 2011.

1. Lykos1986 macrumors member

Hello Mac users!

I am willing to buy a new Cinema Display 27” at the middle of March but I have a few questions.

First of all I am using the latest MacBook Pro but together with the OS X I am using and Win 7 32bit (via bootcamp). Do we know if the screen is playing good with windows? Do I have to install any software at the windows site in order to use the display and the onboard peripherals?

I want the screen as a second monitor as the first one will always be the MacBook Pro. After the first time configurations (position settings of the cinema display, brightness etc) do I have to reconfigure the display again (every time that I am plug in the MBP)?

I am willing to bye the screen from Amazon as it a little bit cheaper. Is it possible to buy the screen from Amazon and an Apple Care for the display from an Apple Store? Apple/Apple Care will recognize the display (as it is not from an Apple Store)?

Thanks for your time…

2. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

1) It plays "fine" as a display with Windows, as long as you install the BootCamp drivers from your Mac OS X restore CD.
    2) You can buy AppleCare separately, from Apple/Wherever, and then register it online to your cinema display.

3. slowtraveler macrumors member

If you have already purchased AppleCare for your MBP, you may be able to add a new ACD to the existing AppleCare plan. I believe AppleCare for laptops allows you to register a companion display together with the machine itself.

Or perhaps a new purchase of AppleCare will cover both MBP and ACD, if you haven't already purchased coverage for the MBP.

Check out the AppleCare documentation or online help on this point, or snoop around the forums here for some guidance.

4. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

Nope, the only time a display is covered is if it is part of the same reciept, so since the OP owns the MBP, this cannot be achieved (basically they have to be bought at the same time).

5. Lykos1986 thread starter macrumors member

In other words I can’t use my Apple Care of my MBP but I can uses a new Apple Care plan in order to register the 27” Cinema Display from Amazon.

But what is happening with the date that Apple Care will start counting days?
    The starting date is the date that I bought the display or the date the Amazon bought the display from Apple?

The only thing that I want for the registration is the serial number of the Cinema Display, right?

6. slowtraveler macrumors member

The starting date for the AppleCare contract is the date of sale on your receipt, since the original warranty period runs from the date of retail sale. You'll probably need that information handy in addition to the ACD's serial number. (I can't remember if they ask you to provide copy of the sales receipt when you are registering.)

7. Lykos1986 thread starter macrumors member

So, probably I must go to an Apple store together with the Amazon receipt and I will ask for Apple Care protection plan. Correct?

8. jenzjen macrumors 68000

This is not correct, it does not need to be on the same receipt.

Apple gives you a certain amount of time I think either 1-2 months after the purchase date of a Mac where they will also cover the display purchase ie Mac bought Jan 1 would still cover a display bought Feb 28 if 2 months is correct.

9. Transporteur macrumors 68030

Are you sure about that?

Back in 2007 I bought a MBP in August, shortly followed by a 30" in September.
    I Apple about insuring the display with the laptop and they said no, both items have to be on the same receipt. No way around that. I ended up buying AC for the display separately.

Did they change this policy?

10. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Not necessarily. I ordered my ACD 3 months after my macbook pro was ordered and Apple still put it under my Macbook Pro's applecare. For it to work though the ACD will only be covered as long as the macbook pro but for me it was worth it.

11. slowtraveler macrumors member

I believe chrismacguy is correct about the stated policy, but I can also attest from personal experience that Apple doesn't always strictly enforce it.

In my case, I was allowed to add a 27" ACD (purchased at a U.S. Apple Store) to an existing AppleCare contract for a 15" MBP, a couple of months after I had purchased the original machine.

12. slowtraveler macrumors member

You can also buy an AppleCare contract on Amazon if you want (in the U.S., at least), and register online at Apple's web site.

AppleCare contracts are basically shrinkwrap retail products. They come in a number of different versions; make sure you get the one meant for new Apple Displays.

I don't know if you can actually register an AppleCare contract in person at a retail store, or if registration is always handled online. I think if you go to an Apple Store they will probably help you register online :)

13. Transporteur macrumors 68030

Strange. Maybe they didn't like my voice. :p

But even the 100€ additional I paid for AC was totally worth it.

14. slowtraveler macrumors member

I suspect if you go into an Apple Store or call them up and ask about this, they just recite the official policy. I don't think they want to publicize their willingness to make exceptions.

In my case, I was able to add a display to an existing contract by using the AppleCare support tools on Apple's web site. Somebody at Apple reviewed my online request to add the new display to my AC contract, and a couple of days later I got an email saying it had been approved.

15. Lykos1986 thread starter macrumors member

And I am guessing that if something happen with the new Cinema Display I will deal direct with Apple in order to fix the problem and not with Amazon, as I will have Apple Care.

Is this correct?

16. foodog macrumors 6502a

foodog

I was told you have to purchase the hardware together for the Applecare to cover the ACD.