New Cinema Displays at WWDC?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by pmj13, Jun 6, 2012.

1. pmj13 macrumors newbie

With all the talk of retina-display macs, I was wondering if anyone thinks that apple will be releasing new cinema displays with retina resolution at this years WWDC? I haven't heard much of anything regarding this as a possibility, but it seems like it almost needs to happen.

If you all don't think they will release them now, do you have any speculation as to when they might do so?

Thanks! :D

2. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

3. JayMBP macrumors regular

Lol, considering Viewsonic's demo 4K monitor is supposed to cost "about the price of a car" when it launches later... I fail to see where is apple going to source 4k panel for less than $999

At most, I think they will update it to USB3, maybe an extra port here and there... but the resolution will stay the same.

4. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

$1000 need not be the qualifier.

A 32" 3840 x 2160 display would command a premium. It could easily get $1500 from the DCC field.

5. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Somehow I don't see a trend toward this size. It would also likely cost well over $1500. These things tend to increase exponentially as you go toward the niche sizes.

6. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

it would probably cost what the old 30in cinema display was .. 2200$ when it first launched if I remember correctly?

wasn't there a post on the front page awhile ago about Sharp mass producing 32in retina displays ?

7. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Yes I was searching for a good link for their IGZO 32"

http://en.akihabaranews.com/113121/...ucture-for-high-density-lcd-and-oled-displays

Impressive.

8. lixuelai macrumors 6502a

Probably with USB 3.0. But higher resolution is extremely unlikely. Apple would be subsidizing the displays to the tune of a couple thousand dollars per display...

9. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

A couple of thousand dollars buys a 70" display now. There are Asian display coming with the same resolution as the Thunderbolt display for under $400

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ACHIEVA-Shi...440-16-9-D-Sub-Computer-Monitor-/220961455233

10. lixuelai macrumors 6502a

11. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Better question would be the inverse. What ramifications do this have on Apple displays?

Apple can set the pricing of their product for what the market will bear but the fact that the same panel is now showing up in very cheap displays is testament to the efficiency now being seen in fabricating larger high resolution panels.

12. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

The original price was $3300 or $3500, and it required a gpu upgrade that was another $400 or so to run on a G5. This was when it launched. They adjusted the price several times prior to discontinuation. It went under $2k at one point. The term retina is used way too much. I'm not sure we'll see 32" desktop displays here unless they're meant to double as televisions. It's really larger than most people put on their desks.

13. lixuelai macrumors 6502a

The panels you are talking about are advertised as A- grade. Now more times than not it is still an excellent display but there is a difference between a 5 dead pixel policy and a no dead pixel policy. Anyway, they all have barebone electronics and are intended for internet cafés in Korea.

Is it cheaper to produce high resolution LCDs now compared to say 7 years ago? Sure. However does that mean the introductory cost of a new class of LCDs in DPI, of which production was only started 2 months ago, would be so cheap that it essentially replaces technology that has been refined for the past 7 years by next week? I doubt it.

14. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

A year ago I would have doubted the feasibility of a 9.7" screen running at 2048 x 1536 at "any" price considered affordable and the vendors made it happen.

I don't think it'll happen this year for Apple displays but what appears to be happening is the current ACD/TBD 27" panel will see much more competition which means Apple will start searching for higher ground.

15. lixuelai macrumors 6502a

The discussion is about the likelihood of a higher resolution ACD/ATD in this year's WWDC aka next week.

16. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

It "is" feasible for this year. What I believe and what Apple actually does may be orthogonal to each other but the ability is there to refresh the CD lineup.

17. lixuelai macrumors 6502a

What panels would Apple be using?

18. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Foxc...tory-to-produce-Apple-iPhone-displays_id30557

I wouldn't mind Sharp

19. lixuelai macrumors 6502a

1) Notice the iPhone in the topic. LCD cost goes up exponentially with size especially when resolution also increases.

2) There are 3 IGZO types announced by Sharp in April. Of which 1 is the 32" at 3840 x 2160 and the other 2 at 7" and 10". Now it is possible they have more types up their sleeves. However I find it hard to believe that in mid April Sharp announced that they will be starting production of these displays and now in early June they have enough volume to supply the ACD, ATD and iMac. Not even counting the PC manufacturers likely jumping on the bandwagon (yes Win7 has High DPI awareness as well).

20. kolax macrumors G3

No thanks. That's the equivalent resolution (in terms of UI size) of 1740x1080. Things would look huge. Considering the 27" ACD is 2560x1440, you'll lose a lot of 'screen space'.

21. spacedesign911 macrumors regular