New cinema displays? Should i now? or wait?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by realizment, Oct 31, 2012.

1. realizment macrumors member

Hey guys,

As with my mac pro question , should i also wait on the displays? Heard the possibly might be coming with new ones? Stretching out the screen to full size. (Less bezel i guess, like the newer TV's)

Im currently budgeting for a new home recroding studio, and slightly leading toward the side of waiting on the new mac pro to arrive see what its got, rather than buy a 12 core now, and be sorry later.(soonish) haha.

Whats the word on the displays though?

Thanks!

2. Orange Furball macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

Email Tim cook... ask him and say you're outraged by them abandoning the desktop monitor area. He may give you some info. Tcook@apple.com

3. colshine macrumors regular

colshine

The new iMac design/spec gives you clues as to the possible changes that make it into the next round of Apple displays. If you think you might need those features then wait. The current screen are fantastic - the only reason to wait is if you want USB3 and the new design.

4. realizment thread starter macrumors member

The thickness, or thinness rather haha, is appealing, as for USB3? Id rather see this in the mac pro, but im sure we will in the new, usb on the mac screens allow integration to the system right?

5. colshine macrumors regular

colshine

It does - if I was buying a display today I wouldn't hesitate to get the TBD but it all depends on what is important to you.

6. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Consider if there will be a new ACD. On the new MBPs and iMacs, Apple has dropped their old faithful FW protocol and swapped USB 2 for USB 3. There are no display ports on those new machines. So to hook up a monitor you use thunderbolt or HDMI.

When Apple introduces a new Mac Pro next year, it will likely have USB 3, thunderbolt, HDMI, but no FW or display port. So this scenario begs the question....why will Apple introduce a new ACD? A refreshed ATD would address all their new machines next year. What is the business case for the cost of a new ACD?

7. shorn macrumors regular

Bought mine a couple of months ago. Knew there was going to be a refresh at some point, but still extremely happy with it.

With regards to the thickness of the display, I couldn't care less if they reduced it. It;s not like its a fatty now anyway, and depending on how your screen is placed, chances are you'll never even notice it.

Theres always a reason to wait. Just buy and be done with!

8. edk99, Oct 31, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2012

edk99 macrumors 6502a

I'm sure a new screen will be released early next year. I would list the improvements in this order.
    1) New screen technology to reduce glare by 75%
    2) USB 3
    3) Redesign

I'm also hoping they sneak HDMI in there too. Would be nice to use it with a non ThunderBolt machine. That way they don't have to update or can stop making the old cinema display.

9. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

A new screen...yes, based on the latest 27" iMac screen. Using that screen a new ATD...you bet. But a new ACD? Not so sure when Apple is trying to get everyone to thunderbolt. I would not bet on a new ACD at all.

10. ryanide macrumors 6502

thunderbolt update

I think the new display will be thinner, like the new iMac, and have thunderbolts, USB3 and Gigabit Ethernet ports. That way you could into plug your rMPB power & Thunderbolt and get wired Ethernet at the same time rather than having to use an additional thunderbolt adapter.

11. Liquinn Suspended

Why make the thunderbolt display thinner if you're not going to see the thinness?

12. realizment thread starter macrumors member

What benefit is there having thunderbolt as the screen connection anyways?

13. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

One protocol to bind them all.

Between MacBook and the ATD, the thunderbolt cable is carrying all I/O. That beats running separate video, audio, Ethernet, USB,and FW cables between them!

14. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

I'm waiting for the next revision myself. The thinness and less glare aren't big factors to me... As it's a monitor I'd imagine I'd keep for years, I'd like it to at least support USB 3.0, ya' know?

15. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

The revision with usb and other ports doesn't work with the mac pro. There are other display choices out there anyway. The main point I like is glare reduction. The current one is way too shiny. With the reduction and semi-controlled lighting, it should be perfectly workable.

They were using it to turn the display into a dock.

16. realizment thread starter macrumors member