New Cinema Displays Soon? I hope so...

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by reusman, Feb 29, 2008.

1. reusman macrumors newbie

So based on the average [230 Days] the Cinema Displays are more than 100 days overdue for an update [331 Days]. Do you think an update is in the air? Are we talking a simple price drop, or something much more exciting [Different sized? Thinner? iSight?]?

Alright, I know this is beyond out on a limb... But I'm thinking about an Apple announcement centered around HD. BluRay Drives, New iDVD [iBluRay?], New DVD Studio Pro [BluRay Studio?], AND new Cinema Displays! Alright, I'm dreaming... but seriously, it would make sense to announce these things together...

2. Malfoy macrumors 6502a

Malfoy

No. I feel sorry for anyone who has held out on an ACD under the impression another was right around the corner. :eek:

3. iJesus macrumors 6502a

iJesus

If they're going to change the iMac's styling any time soon than it would be their best chance at introducing two innovative products. A redesigned iMac and a redesigned ACD.

They'll probably due in sometime in April or at WWDC.

4. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

iMac restyling won't happen this year, it was just updated last year. ACD's should better get an update or a price drop. I'm on hold until that happens to buy a mac pro.

5. Karamazow macrumors newbie

new ACDs

First of all, sorry for my english : I am frenchie !

I am really interested in a 30" screen, but I don't know whether I should wait for the next generation or not.

I currently own a PowerBook HD 15" which is able to drive the current ACD 30" (with its ATI 9700 128 Mo).

My needs :

- Web editing for fun (iWeb)
    - Photo editing also for fun
    - iDVD creation

- Watching movies : I don't have enough space for a video projector in my current flat, so only a screen

My planning :

I would like a computer screen for those needs, at least for 8 years, since I am planning to buy a video projector in about 8 years. (waiting for BlueRay maturation, an price drot on video projectors)

My wonders :

I don't know if my current computer (Powerbook HD) would be able to drive the next gen of ACDs. If not, it would be a pitty to have been waiting for a product I won't be able to use. (necessity of using a TFT screen in its nominal definition)

I don't know if the current DVI-D connectivity of the current ACD 30" will still be a standard in 10 years. I don't won't to buy a screen now, which I am not sure to be able to connect to my future computers.

I am planning to keep my current PowerBook for at least 3 years from now. (maybe 5 years).

Could anyone of you help me to find out the right strategy, regarding from the facts mentionned above ?

Thank you very much in advance !

6. anmoldagreat macrumors member

wow you plan 8 years in advance. thats impressive.
    but apple has still made no hints at updating their acds. and for the op they havent been updated in years just price drops over and over.
    very old technology which is why image professionals are all switching to other ips models now a days.

7. Karamazow macrumors newbie

Well, actually my wife asked me to make a "buisness plan" for the next ten years concerning the money I would like to spend in technology "Computer, HiFi, ...)

So my wishes about the screen are :

- Good enough to display movies in good conditions, and to display draws with accuracy
    - Duration concerning the ability of displaying movies for at least 8 years, since if I have such a screen (so spent money to buy it) I won't plane another spend for this subject (watching movies) for the next 8 years

Around 1800€ is a great amount of money, so I wouldn't like to see my possible screen defeating before a long time !

CRT screen were (and still are) able to live very long (more than 10 years).

What about TFT screen such as the 30 inch ACD ?

8. MIDI_EVIL macrumors 65816

MIDI_EVIL

As a photographer, I am on the fence about the right display. I'm not sure I can justify the price of the Cinema Display for the lack of inputs etc... but I know they are very nice panels.

I'm looking to spend £250 - £400

I just cannot find a monitor that seems to suit that price tag, comparable with colours to the Cinema Display.

I know from first hand experience the Cinema Display is beautiful.

9. mrfaize macrumors member

Colours wise a S-IPS is the way to go which is ACD. And when you look at other S-IPS panels the ACD aren't too expensive (OK... OK... lack of inputs and a measly 1 year warranty). There is a new kid on the block in the UK called Hazro who have S-IPS panels 23" 24" 26" & 30" - but still have limited inputs but have a 3 year warranty. Priced about ACD money. (Resellers website is down at moment)

Otherwise looking at a cheaper PVA panel and latest is the Dell 2408wfp. Not sure what it is like - 24" and 4 year warranty yours for £440.

10. Karamazow macrumors newbie

Just up the post

Just up the post in case someone could give me one's feeling about my questions... :confused:

Thanks in advance ! :)

Karamazow