New Cinema Displays???

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dtbray, May 27, 2008.

1. dtbray macrumors newbie

Is Apple no longer in the display business? Apple hasn't upgraded their display line recently (422 days). Maybe I should buy a ?

2. xhambonex macrumors 6502a

are you asking for advice on buying a display? and for what computer, and what size...info like that.

3. Joined:
    May 27, 2008
    There are alot of good monitors out on the market right now.. it just depends on what your using it for and what you need. I steered clear of the apple displays just because the are so expensive and you can buy a monitor with the same specs from other companies like HP, Dell, and Samsung. I just bought a Dell Ultrasharp 2408 yesterday from a Mac Retailer and when I ordered it the salesman made a comment about how it had the same specs if not better specs than the Apple Displays and it was alot cheaper... he was almost impressed.

I am not saying don't buy the apple displays but deff do your research and make sure your not just buying it because its an apple. I wouldn't listen to people when they say don't buy Samsung or don't by HP.. you need to do your own research and figure out what you like.

Good Luck!

4. rpaloalto macrumors 6502a

rpaloalto

We might see a acd update announced at wwdc on june 9 :D

5. dtbray thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi again. I want an everything display, movies, photoshop, general use. My 23" acd is great but would like to have a 30" to go with the new mac pro. But am getting tired of waiting for the new 30's and am beginning to wonder if they are going to be refreshed at all. HP, Samsung?

6. thinkband macrumors regular

Look at the 30" Dell's or just wait. Actually just wait. I don't know of a company that has really mastered the 30" but Apple. Don't expect to pay anything but top dollar for it though. I'd say the Dell 30" is your next best bet but I believe its not of the highest quality.

7. xhambonex macrumors 6502a

I would wait for WWDC to blow over. I can't imagine spending 1800 for a monitor, but maybe ACD is the way for you. Dell is a second option everyone likes, but I guess that because you want an ACD refresh, then the Dell probably doesn't have any greater features either. looks like you can wait, or just buy the thing and be happy.

8. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

I'd wait till about a week after WWDC just in case they have a new model. But, the current displays haven't been updated in a WHILE. The 407 days is since a price drop, not a refresh.

In June 2004, they introduced the new aluminum cinema displays.

22 months later, in March 2006, they slightly bumped up the brightness and contrast ratio.

So for over 26 months/636+ days, we haven't recieved a display update. And even the one back then was minor.

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#Apple_Cinema_Displays